Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Making my printer USB

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnRChick

Technical User
May 26, 2006
US
Hey. I have a old computer (it has a parallel port for the printer) and an old HP Deskjet 720 printer. I'm getting a new Dell laptop and it doesnt have the parallel port on it. I found a converter on amazon that will convert the parallel to a USB connection. Will this work? Will the software be able to switch to the USB connection? Any ideas?

Thanks
John

Yes, it should. A client of mine recently bought a new Dell PC with no serial or parallel ports, and they were using an HP Deskjet 722. I bought a parallel to USB converter from Newegg and it worked perfectly.

It may depend on the OS. Win95 except I think for OEM version perhaps does not support USB though most win98 and above do support USB. If it's a new computer, chances are it has win xp or a comparable OS that should not be a problem for USB. In fact it probably has 1 or more built in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back