Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Making Modem Quiet

Status
Not open for further replies.

aznxracer

ISP
May 4, 2002
US
my modem is really annoying and loud, and i want to make it quiet but i dont want to have no sound, can u help me?

if you have an initialization are for you modem (often looks like AT&F or the like add L0 (it is a zero not an Oh) to the end I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel > Modems. Once you have opened modems, be sure your modem is highlighted, and select the "Properties" radio button there. That will open a box with "General," "Connection," "Distinctive Ring," and "Forwarding" tabs. Select the "Connection" tab. There you will see a button titled "Advanced." Open that, and look in the "Extra settings" box for an initialization string (Init string).

That box may very well be empty. This is because Windows has assigned a generic init string to your modem. This is where Jimbopalmer was likely referring to in putting "L0" at the end of the string. (Lx, by the way, regulates the speaker volume on your modem. L0 is the quietest, while L3 is the loudest.) If you see no init string there, one must be added before you put the "L0" in the box. Check the documentation to your modem to find a suggested init string. If you don't have documentation, or if it doesn't suggest any, you may find one for your modem on the internet. A couple locations are:

More locations can be found with a search engine. As a suggestion, I like Google ( You can enter "init modem" or "init string" (without the quotation marks), and you will have all kinds of sites pop up.

Make sure the string is for your exact model of modem. Then you can put the "L0" at the end of that string. You may find, too, that your modem really smokes with the right init string, compared to what it did before. I have seen that in many that I have installed.

Hope this helps.
Butch

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts"

this is really confusing, so can u help me find a init string

btw, i have a conextant softk56 pci modem and my comp is windows ME

You actually got a Rockwell/Conexant to work? (Just being facetious. ;-) ) Anyway, here are a few you can try:

AT&F&W&W1E0X4W2
AT&FE0V1S0=0&C1&D2W0
AT&F&C1&D2S=50

Put one into the box I told you about, and see how it works. It is best to use all capitals for the letters. If it doesn't work or the performance deteriorates, take it out and try another. When you find one that works, just ad the "L0" to it, then try it again. Also, here are a couple sights that will provide a further education on Rockwell/Conexant modems:

Hope this helps.
Butch

See my web site:

hmmmm they dont seem to work, it says it has trouble connecting with the network
??? ilo0lOl0oli

Take everything out of the box so it is empty, then shut down (off) your computer and restart it to reset the modem. Then see if you can find some more init strings on the 'net. Here are a couple more links for your investigation:

You can use the Google search engine to find more.

And be sure to go to , which I have already given you, to learn all about your modem.

Also, I read in another thread where one person inserted one end of an audio cable, like the ones from your speakers, in the sound connection in his modem and the other end in nothing, and it shut off the sound entirely. Look to see if your modem has such a connector. If it does, you might try that.
Butch

I forgot this: In that "Extra settings" box, try entering simply "M0L0" without any other init string. (Of course, those are still zeroes.) That just might do the trick for you. Butch

M0L0 makes the modem have no sound, i want it to be quiet so that i can hear that my modem is connecting ilo0lOl0oli

M1 is sound, M0 is no sound
L0 is lowest sound, then L1 is louder, up to L3 I think

so M1L0 should be the least
I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back