Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

making font larger when user selects to view fonts larger

Status
Not open for further replies.

photoxprt1868

Programmer
Jul 22, 2005
US
Hello,

I have a page with font sizes totally controled by css. If the user selects form the browser to view the fonts larger it doesn't do anything. Is there something I have to add in the style sheet? If yes, what?

Thank you

rather, there is something you need to remove. you are most definitely using "[tt]px[/tt]" as a unit of text size. these are fixed-size units. instead, use [tt]em[/tt]s, [tt]%[/tt]s, or keywords ([tt]small[/tt], [tt]x-small[/tt], [tt]xx-small[/tt], etc).

*cLFlaVA
----------------------------
[tt]I already made like infinity of those at scout camp...[/tt]
beware of active imagination: [URL unfurl="true"]http://www.coryarthus.com/[/url]

[banghead]

what is ems? I know it's one of the choices in the units, but what does it stand for? Also, what do I do about the keywords? where do they go, in the css?

Thank you very much

Everything goes at the same place: [tt]font-size:[/tt] Just put whatever you feel most comfortable with. Em is a relative measure equal to the width of the letter m in the currently chosen font.

Em is a relative measure equal to the width of the letter m in the currently chosen font.

Does it relate to the width of m or M? I have also seen ex as units which I believe is defined as the height of a capital X in a font. Is there any technical reason for choosing one over the other or is it simply a stylistic choice of which looks better in a given situation?

Thanks

Adrian

How about you just give it a go. It's got to be faster than writing the post and waiting for someone to reply.

Cheers,
Jeff

[tt]Jeff's Page [/tt][tt]@[/tt][tt] Code Couch
[/tt]

Well said, Jeff. I don't understand why so many people are so afraid of trying [new] things for themselves. It's not as if HTML or CSS can break a computer permanently!

Dan

[tt]Dan's Page [blue]@[/blue] Code Couch
[/tt]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back