Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Making elements visible during an onChange() event

Status
Not open for further replies.

JScannell

Programmer
Jan 9, 2001
US
I've been struggling with this all day. All I want to do is make the display style = block on a "Please wait" element on a web page while some lengthy data manipulations occur.

The only way the element becomes visible is if I place an alert ( "xxxx" ); debug statement in my onChange() event handler. What the @#$% is going on? What am I supposed to do to make the element visible during the data manipulation? It seems that while the onChange() event is executing, nothing outside of it can happen until it's done.

I've tried setting a setInterval() function. It does continuously run (at least once every second) but not while the onChange() event is running. Everything stops during it.

Thanks in advance,
Jerry

Jerry Scannell

Where are you placing the function to set the visibility if the "Please wait" text exactly?

If your complex data manipulations are holding up the javascript execution, then yes, nothing will happen until after its done.

How are you performing these manipulations exactly?
If using ajax, you would normally use an asynchronous call so that the page continues to work, while the server side process is running.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
OS-ception: Running Linux on a Virtual Machine in Windows which itself is running in a Virtual Machine on Mac OSx.

Web & Tech

Before starting the data manipulation would be my choice. Beyond that, and without knowing anything about your code or what you are doing its impossible to be any more specific.

Phil AKA Vacunita
OS-ception: Running Linux on a Virtual Machine in Windows which itself is running in a Virtual Machine on Mac OSx.

Web & Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back