Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Making discontinued items unsellable 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrflex

Technical User
Jul 24, 2006
US
I'm having a problem with my sale staff continuing to sell products which have been discontinued. I have created a product line "DSCO" and routinely place the products which we no longer carry in it.

I know, the real solution is to beat the salespeople mercilessly until they learn not to sell discontinued items. :)

Is there a way, short of deleting the part numbers in question, to prevent a discontinued item (or product line) from being placed on a sales order?

Thanks for your input.
Bill

We use an Extended Solution that prevents any type of transaction for a item that is flagged inactive. It is IM-1244.

Thanks BigLouie. I was afraid it was going to be something like that.

I think it may be cheaper to beat the salespeople.

:)

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

To get part way there without an Extended Solution you can create customized ALE lookups for inventory items where you filter out the 'discontinued' items from the Product Type. At least they won't see the items when they use the lookup.

Andy

Ahhh... good idea, Andy. That will solve two thirds of the problem, I think. Out of sight, out of mind.

Thanks!
Bill

If you have business alerts, you could have an alert that sends an email to the rep that entered the order every 5 minutes until the item was taken off the order. Annoy them without the work. :)

Dawn

We also put in a custom product line DISC which helps on lookup. Also we put in a custom unit of measure DISC so that on each line of the invoice with a discontinued item it also clearly shows the DISC. That helps for items where the sales rep types in the complete part number without using the lookup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back