Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Making ActiveX object Browser safe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Navitas

Programmer
Jul 20, 2004
GB
Hi

I've written a dll in vb.net that I then call from an IE page using javascript - new ActiveXObject etc

However when it initialises it prompts to ask if you want to allow the use of the activeX object.

I know this is standard IE security, but how do I register my dll as Browser safe so that the prompt doesn't appear.

Many thanks
Darren

AFAIK, this is a user initiated function only, not something you can "pre-code" into your dll.

There's always a better way. The fun is trying to find it!

how do I register my dll as Browser safe so that the prompt doesn't appear.

I don't think you can - and if you think about it, it's common sense. After all - if you can mark your own ActiveX object as safe, what is to stop a malicious programmer marking a trojan, virus, worm, etc, as safe?

Even content from Microsoft, McAfee, and Macromedia prompts you - and they're probably safer than most things available.

This is a browser setting that you'd need to change.

Hope this helps,
Dan

OK I sorted it!

This info may be useful for anyone else facing the same problem!

Note however my dll was developed to work with a local application that uses IE pages for its user interface - ie there is no web download etc.

To mark your dll as web safe, find it's class ID and search the registry for it (in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID). Then add a new key in the Implemented Categories folder with the following value as the key name : {7DD95801-9882-11CF-9FA9-00AA006C42C4}

Your dll will the be marked as browser safe

Hope this helps

Darren

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back