Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Making Access multiuser

Status
Not open for further replies.

dolodolo

Technical User
May 27, 2003
US
Hi,

How can I make my Access DB multiuser?

Thanks,
Dolores

I thought... MS Access is Multi-User in nature by default with table/record locking.

Depending upon your specific needs, such as security (MDW) and types of data, etc... you could employ VBA customizations, if needed.

htwh,

Steve Medvid
IT Consultant & Web Master

Chester County, PA Residents
Please Show Your Support...

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. We are not using user level security - it's a nightmare. When the DB is open, no one else can open it. You click on it and nothing happens.

I am having the folder containing the DB shared specifically. I'll see how that works.

Again thanks for your prompt reply.

Dolores

Have you used the Database Splitter to split the database? If not, that's probably your answer. Each user can then have a front end on their own machine and you can store the backend (data part) in the shared drive.

Agreed - that is best!
Split that database... Data and Front-End Stuff...

Steve Medvid
IT Consultant & Web Master

Chester County, PA Residents
Please Show Your Support...

Thanks All,

It turns out that it will open once Access is open but not from Explorer - strange quirk.

Again thanks all for your help!

Dolores

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back