Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Making a USB stick bootable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leozack

MIS
Oct 25, 2002
GB
I've been round the houses here and tried all sorts of tools and techniques and despite having a USB stick bootable before, it has decided not to be anymore and whilst trying to make it bootable again all I managed was formatting my other USB stick that had all my stuff on so now I'm just PO'd -_-
There was a tool that you pointed to a windows install source and it turned your USB stick into a bootable windows install source but I don't want that. My USB stick previously did a fast boot straight into a networking version of ghost 8 DOS and I would use it to image PCs. I've tried thet ool I thought I used which turns an ISO file you have (eg a boot cd) into your USB stick (though it'd be nice if it didn't format the whole USB stick first so I could partition off 1G on the stick for the boot drive and the rest as a data drive) but still no luck.

Anyone have any recommendations? It's such a complicated issue for something that should be so simple. I don't have a floppy drive or windows 98 around to do the old "format - add system files" thing either.

OK so I found the original source for the ghost booting I was using on USB previously here
And if I now use USBICE to format the USB as USB-FDD then set the PBR to MS-DOS, then I copy over the USB version of the ghost boot disk linked there, then sure enough I can boot straight off the USB without rearranging HD order in the BIOS, and it boots straight into ghost via the msdos system files included in the download that I copied over, and ghost works :) So that's me back to where I was with 1 USB stick.

However ... this multilinuxUSB tool originally linked way up in an earlier post - that seems pretty sweet. The only problem is any ISOs for tools I add myself as custom don't seem to work nicely. They complain about cdrom loading or drive loading and such. The only things that seem to work are the preconfigured partition wizard 5 one I downloaded and that if I boot from my custom hiren's cd ISO I can load the miniXP which is nice and fast off USB. Is there a known way to get these things all working from the multiboot tool? Else I'll have to just stick with USBs booting to ghost and using bootcds for my other tools which is a pain :/

Show us the menu.lst entries for the non-working ISOs, no guarantees, but someone may be able to put you straight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back