Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Making a two tone Pantone file.. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

theAntic

Technical User
Oct 7, 2003
US
Hello!

I'm trying to create a letterhead in Illustrator (logo at the top of an 8.5x11, with an address, etc, on the bottom), but don't know Illustrator all that well. So, I built the logo in Photoshop using its Pantone library, saved the logo as a TIF, and imported that into Illustrator. Now I have to make sure the PANTONE colors from Photoshop are matching in Illustrator so that the printers get only a total of two Pantone colors in the AI file..

One difference I noticed between the PANTONE names in Photoshop vs Illustrator: PANTONE 7463 in Photoshop has a "C" at the end, while PANTONE 7463 in Illustrator has a "U" (which I had to find in the PANTONE Uncoated Library, vs the Coated and Process Libraries - it doesn't exist in those). I think this makes a difference.. does it? AND, if it does, how do I make sure I'm getting the same PANTONE from Photoshop into Illustrator?

I really need some help on this one. Thanks!

www.etoddt.com​
- theAntic

To my knowlege you cannot save a file containg spot colors as a .tif file. If you are then your pantone color is being converted. If your impoted PS file actually has pantone info. in it, you should get a swatch that same color in your swatch pallette, otherwise your working with primary or process colors.

Matzki,

So, is there a file type that preserves this PANTONE info, or do I need to recreate my logo in Illustrator?

Thank you!

- theAntic
www.etoddt.com​

Either re-create or save file as .eps in duotone. monotone. etc. mode or DCS 2.0. Re-creating in Illustrator would probably be best but remember that you can name colors whatever you want. As long as they are named the same, they should seperate on the same plates even if they do not look the same.

Thanks! This really helped.

- theAntic
www.etoddt.com​

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back