Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Making a "Y" path 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zodd

Technical User
May 5, 2005
US
Hello, is there any way to make a path in the shape of a "Y"? I can't seem to figure it out. When I try, the path either just jumps over and changes the direction, or it starts a whole new path all together.

Thanks

Using your pen tool start at the bottom and make a point, then holding your shift key down move up and make another point, then move up and over to make the point for one of the tops of your "Y" and then move to either the right or left to make the top point. Using your add point tool add a point to the top line then drag just that point and snap it to the second point you made. You will have an overlapping line but that shoudn't be visible. Adjust your top points to even them out, using the grid should be helpful with this procedure.

Thats the only way I can think of...

Tony Perkins

Or, type a "Y" in a sans serif font, create outlines and one simple path done. Adjust from. there.

Zodd:

You cannot have a vector that goes in more than one direction at once (think of the vector as a mathematical graph expressing a formula, there's only one y-value (pun intended) for each x-value). As a result, a vector cannot split into multiple paths and still be one entity.

To start drawing from the middle spot of a half-y, you could turn off auto-add-delete from the preferences menu to avoid clicking on an anchor and having it get deleted.

HTH

Bert

Bert Philippus -

I had a feeling that you couldn't really do that. My dilemma is that I am trying to make a road that splits in 2 directions. I am using the road style that you (itchybug) helped me create. I can start a new path, but when I apply the style, they are not blended, as a fork in the road might be. I suppose there is no easy way to do this without drawing out each intersection separately?

Zodd:

You mean like this:
roady.gif

Draw the paths, then GROUP them, and THEN apply the style.

To loosely quote an Adobe engineer on this: When you apply different strokes to multiple paths, the strokes on crossing paths will be (front to back):

stroke2 (on top, path 2)
stroke1 (on bottom, path 2)
stroke2 (on top, path 1)
stroke1 (on bottom, path 1)

When grouped before applying the effect, it will be:

stroke2 (on top, path 2)
stroke2 (on top, path 1)
stroke1 (on bottom, path 2)
stroke1 (on bottom, path 1)

Hope that's not too convoluted.

HTH

Bert

Bert Philippus -

Yes, that is exactly what I am talking about. I will try it when I get home from work. Thanks again.

I'll give it to you Bert - you are quite helpful around here.

Donna

I will give you stars, and votes, and all that if I knew how to do it. I am new to this forum. How do you do it?

Itchy, I believe I gave you your well deserved vote. Can you tell for sure if I did it correctly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back