Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Making a MCSE lab

Status
Not open for further replies.

timjcrist

IS-IT--Management
Jun 1, 2006
I’m looking to create a home lab for the MCSE exams so I can get some hands on experience and to work out some of the questions I am studying. I already have 2 copies of Windows XP for the work stations, and I have a full copy of server 2003 for my server I will need to build. I have never set up a server before so I think this will be valuable but my question is will I need a static IP address for the server to set this lab up? If so, then I don’t think ill be able to do this, I looked into getting one from my ISP and it’s a little to pricey in my opinion. Thanks for any advice, opinions and input.

Tim

try somewhere like and create and account, its free, then setup and domain name from within your account, that should sort out your static ip problem..cheap enough for ya?

If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?

Thanks for the link. I checked the website out and that was pretty much exactly what I was looking for. Anyone ever set up a lab like this for test prep? I think it will be worth my time, but has anyone done this and found out that it wasent as helpfull as it sounds?

remember, a server does not mean converting a regular PC with windows 2000/2003 server is called a server. If you can get your self a real server with raid 1/5 configure to run on windows 2003 with AD. You have a good lab there. Also get your hands on VMware, very nice piece of software for testing purposes.

server will always need to be static, you don't want a server to get a new IP everyday would you? What is your purpose of buying a public ip from your isp?

It all depends on what you want to be doing with your server. Sure the server should have a static IP but I cant see why you would need to have a static public IP address on the Internet.

You would only need a static wan IP if your server is going to be part of a production system hosting services like HTTP, DNS or VPN access.

If you need a static public IP you can get around this by using dynamic DNS services as mentioned above.

I am lucky enough personally to have a range of 8 public IP addresses assigned to me by my ISP. My MCSE lab consists of a Sempron 2800+ system with 1.5MB RAM running CentOS Linux and VMWare Server. I have a virtual network of a few systems including 2003 server evaluation running in virtual machines. I also have a couple of linux guest OS's that I use to run bind to provide a public DNS service for my domain names and for my http server.

I can highly recommend the free VMWare server for anyone wanting to setup a test environment for studying.

Like I said, I have never set up a server before, only read about it so please forgive my ignorance. I was to set it up, to basically add users, and configure groups, get experience with raid technology and I defiantly want to get some AD experience, and set up DNS and DHCP. HTTP hosting is not really what I’m looking to do. I might want to mess around with WINS or RIS or an email sever. I would like to get experience with doing network installs and ghosting systems as well. That’s what I’m looking to do. Sorry for not stating that off the bat, I’m sure that would of eliminated some confusion.

You don't need a public IP for a MCSE test lab. Just create a new network with a switch or hub and connect ideally 4 PCs to it (two as servers two as desktops), you could get away with 1 of each but can't practice some stuff then. You could also use Virtual PC etc. if you lack hardware.

The servers should have static IPs the desktops can be configured to obtain via DHCP.

>>> I was to set it up, to basically add users, and configure groups, get experience with raid technology<<<

I would definately recommend running 2003 server as a guest OS using VMWare server. This way you can add additonal virtual network interface cards and or scsi or ide drives as you need them. Its alot cheaper to set up a system with a load of virtual SCSI disks for practising with RAID 5 and dynamic disks etc as it is to actually use physical disks.

Again, sorry but I am confused NickFerrar.
“You don't need a public IP for a MCSE test lab”
but then you mention
“The servers should have static IPs”

I was under the impression that public IP address were static.

>>>I was under the impression that public IP address were static.<<<

I really think you should consider learning the basics of TCP-IP before you dive into your MCSE training. Most training materials assume a basic knowledge of TCP-IP networking. The MCSA is geared towards an administrator with at least 6 months experience.

You might find this site useful

To answer your question a static IP refers to any machine that has its IP address set on the machine rather than aquired from a server. This can be a machine on a private network or attached to the internet a machine can have a static IP regardless of whether it has an internet connection or not. Likewise a public IP can be both static and server assigned but a public IP refers to an IP address that can be connected and routed to directly from the Internet.

Thanks for the link, and for clearing things up.

start low and work your way up. Start with A+ or Network+ so you have better understanding of networking. You will have a hard time with MCSE if you don't know what static and public ip are.

>>>start low and work your way up. Start with A+ or Network+ so you have better understanding of networking.<<<

I second that, I studied for comptia exams before considering starting towards the MCSA/MCSE. The material on the A+ and Network+ gives you a real foundation of knowledge that you need when studying for MCSA. MCSA/MCSE exams are microsoft specific, they teach you how to implement the things you learn about in the comptia exams rather than what those things are.

The Bully

A+, Network+, Linux+, Server+, Security+, MCP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back