Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Making a image of SATA Drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhogaj31

IS-IT--Management
Mar 11, 2003
GB
Hi all,

I am trying to make an image (using ghost v6) of an IBM T60 Thinkpad laptop, which has a sata drive.

I have installed win2k and all my apps, then I ran sysprep to prepare the system for replication. I then boot off a dos boot disk with ghost v6 and try to make a ghost image of the system I installed on the sata drive.

Problem is I don't have any dos drivers that allow the sata drive to be seen during the dos/ghost stage. Ghost v6 is unable to see the drive.

Does anyone have any idea about other software I could use to make an image of the drive. I need the software to preferrably run in dos or win2k command prompt because the machine I am cloning is sysprepped.

Any help much much appreciated.

Bhogaj31

or later version of ghost - ghost8 boot disks see sata drives (but I'm surprised 6 doesn't - as its all dos/win98 based for the boot disks - same as ghost8. So it should see SATA drive. How do you create boot disks with ghost6? (I'm not familair with it?). With ghost8 it uses built in pc dos or you can supply ms dos (eg, via a win98 boot floppy).

Wolluf,

The boot disk consists of the following files and I just added the ghost.exe from our application oem version.

The boot disk creator option in Windows 98 was used to create the bootable disk.

IO.SYS
MSDOS.SYS
ASPI2DOS.SYS
ASPI4DOS.SYS
ASPI8DOS.SYS
ASPI8U2.SYS
ASPICD.SYS
AUTOEXEC.BAT
BTCDROM.SYS
BTDOSM.SYS
COMMAND.COM
CONFIG.SYS
FINDCD.EXE
FLASHPT.SYS
GHOST.ERR
GHOST.EXE
HIMEM.SYS
MSCDEX.EXE
OAKCDROM.SYS

I know what you mean about ghost 6 seeing the sata drives, but we have new IBM T60 Thinkpad laptops which come with sata drives and ghost 6 can only see 10 gb of the 80gb drives. I have used ghost 6 to make an image of sata 3.5" drives in a desktop machine (Dell Gx 280) with no problem.

I have resorted to building the T60 laptops, configuring them as I need them. I then sysprep the drive while in the T60 chassis. I then remove the laptop sata drive from the t60 and place in a caddy (sata to usb) and use softare called "Image" to make an image, which seems to work.

I am going to put the imaged t60 hdd back in the t60 laptop to see if it works.

I will update you on my progress.

Try Casper no pun intended. It run while the OS is functional. Then all you have to do is run sysprep after you move the drive to a new machine. It is kinda like going around the barn to get there but it does work! Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back