Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Making a GHOST bootable CD question.. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MALFIE

Technical User
Apr 3, 2003
AU
I use two floppies to boot up Ghost 2003 to support Firewire and USB but I've been trying to do this with a CD. As well, I'd like to include a good number of DOS based utilities.

I can't seem to do all this although Ghost implies that its possible.. It seems to create just the system files off a system floppy.

Any suggestions on how to get the utilities in the CDR as well ??

Thanks

Ever feel like not wanting to get up in the morning? don't worry about it.. just sleep on it...

I'd suggest you take a look at "Bart's" at the following link:-

This is an excellent resource, you can make a boot CD for virtually any purpose.

I have one that allows me to back-up using Ghost with serial/parallel/Network etc, I have also set it up with AV and disk utilities.

It's quite straight forward as he has done most of the work for you, but he has also made it very customisable.

---------------
Johnodq
---------------
Please let me know if the advice I give is of help.
Feedback will benefit all

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Thanks for that info.. I've been to that site and printed out the instructions.. Bart is sure helpful with his instructuions.
Unfortunately I cannot achieve the multi image boot CD as, although I follow the instructions in preparing the image file (and it appears to be OK) , I cannot quite figure out how to burn it to a CDR ( CDR-RW in this case).
What I mean is, I either go int, say, Nero, and either "select start a multisession disk" and copy both the autoplay and image file over. I've even then tried closing both the session and the disk.
No go.. then I've tried using the bootable CD option in Nero as well. No go..
I think I'm just missing some step or doing it wrong.. can you help??
By the way, what is going into the image file is both floppy disks that Ghost creates for USB and Firewire support. Then a few dos based utilities for doing basic dos operations.
Does the autoplay file do all the necessary booting of the CD after the post-bios start kicks in? or does the burner program have to provide this??

Thanks

Ever feel like not wanting to get up in the morning? don't worry about it.. just sleep on it...

The utilities on Bart's will write the cd for you, it will be bootable and you could apply your utils to it, once you have booted with it Ghost would then be able to make a backup that was bootable but this requires a bootable floppy for Ghost which makes an image of the floppy and uses it during creation of the cd.

The 1st time I made a disc with Bart's I found the writing of the cd to be the thing that took me longest to understand.

---------------
Johnodq
---------------
Please let me know if the advice I give is of help.
Feedback will benefit all

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Random note - I'm pretty sure you can't make a cd-rw bootable, but not sure. I would think it would have to be a CD-R only that you could close the session on completely.

I belive you are probably correct in what you suspect.. I know that when you are making a ghost image backup direct to a CD (bootable) it will not let you use certain disk type/s at all.. and whwn I think about it I probably WAS trying rewritables (DVD in this case)..

I experiment with the notion and see what pans out..thanks for the idea..

(I'm about to get back into Bart's method and see if I can get it to work.. must be very close....)

"We do not stop playing because we are old, more likely we grow old because we stop playing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back