Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Making a bootable CD from an ISO

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirnehator

IS-IT--Management
Dec 8, 2009
CA
I'm wanting to set up a new server with a server 2003 ISO that i have. The question is how do i make it in to a bootable CD that i can drop into the CD tray on the server. i already have tried to burning it to a CD but with no luck so far. I would really appreciate any input or help on this matter. Thank you :)

If this ISO is made from original bootable disk, it should work after burning it to disk. I hope You burned it properly, not simply by copying ISO file to CD?

===
Karlis
ECDL; MCSA

There are several burners out there that will work. Some you pay for and some are free. My favorite is CDBurnerXP. What did you use to try to burn it to the CD/DVD?

James P. Cottingham
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

karlisi - i know the original ISO is made from a bootable disk... i tryed burning the file with nero and free easy burner. and of course i didn't just try and copy the file to the disk.

looks like 2ffat's idea with the CDbrunerXp might work though. i was checking it out and it looks like it supports the ISO's

get my new server any day now so i'll be on top of it to get things working... i wonder how dell is with their driver support?

anyway any other ISO support on this matter i welcome with open arms :) thx

If you have nero all you need to do is open Nero Burning ROM, not Nero Express. Cancel out of the popup wizard thingy, click the drop down menu Recorder then click Burn Image, tell it where the ISO is, make sure you close the disk and leave everything else alone. Ive burned hundreds of ISO's this way, if it doesnt work the ISO is bad or the media is bad.

Your server should come with a driver disc and probably a setup disc. If it doesnt you can create an account on dell and put in your service tag and get access to all the drivers you should need.

RoadKi11

"This apparent fear reaction is typical, rather than try to solve technical problems technically, policy solutions are often chosen." - Fred Cohen

I use CDBurnerXP to burn ISOs a lot. As Roadki11 mentioned, the full versions of commercial software will also work but the "express" version won't. This is true for Nero, Roxio, et. al.

On a side note, if you have a server with drivers that you want to keep or back up, try DriverMax or DoubleDriver.

James P. Cottingham
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

two free small burning programs worth looking into:

imgburn

and

infrarecorder

they will burn isos. and i know for sure that imgburn will make isos from cd media or even folders on a drive

thank you everyone! i will give this stuff a whirl...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back