Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Makefile error- Totally new to Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

mizzy

IS-IT--Management
Jun 28, 2001
AU
Hi,
I've just managed to install Linux and would like to put it on the network. I have found the correct driver and have uncompressed it on the linux workstation.

However whenever I type the command "make" or "make install" I get the following error message
"Makefile:184 *** missing separator. Stop"

Any ideas whay this is happening.
I'm using SULinux 6.1

Thanks for any help.

it sounds like the make file is corrupted. you may want to try downloading the file(s) again from another source and try it again. Or you missing something that make file needs. look at the read me files and check your dependancies

"Did you ever wish a circle was a square, so when land sharks start circling the boarders you can just cut them off at the corners?" - Aesop Rock

Most of the time, the networking drivers in Linux are already available to you. If you know the name of the module, just type [tt]modprobe <module name>[/tt] as root, and it should get your network card detected.

//Daniel

Thanks guys for all the assistance.
When I get a second I will try these suggestions and see what works and will let you know.

Regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back