Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Make World see external Domain 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 29, 2002
US
For SPAM control purposes, many servers to which we send email, are doing name resolution on my server name that go out with every message. The internal server name is mydomain.corp and my external is mydomain.com. How do I make the server send the external
mydomain.com or mail.mydomain.com
instead of
internalservername.mydomain.com?

In addition, in the message header shows the Message-ID: <710690D557C5AB4E9F771DDD700D752A@intserver.internalDNS.corp>

All the DNS records have been created, all the mailboxes have been configured to use both the internal and the external names with the external name as default domain name.

Gladys Rodriguez
GlobalStrata Solutions

Ok. This is what I have found out so far. The server will put in the first line of the message header the following:

Received: from mail.external.com [1.1.1.5] by anotherdomain.net with ESMTP

However, In the message ID, it will show the internal server name but this is not used when routing the mail but only to serialize the message. What I have found so far is that this cannot be changed.

Gladys Rodriguez
GlobalStrata Solutions

we have the exact same problem and all the steps we have gone throught aren't working right, and finally we decided to try to make the DNS domain suffix in the network connection setting to domain.com
in this way, the message header does display mailserver.domain.com instead of our local domain, domain.local, but every time the server restarted it will generate few error message saying the mail server is not able to register with so and so DNS server, which is the DNS server for our domain by the ISP.
now for our mail server, the FQDN looks like this: mailserver.domain.com, and the domain is: domain.local

Gladys,

No, our external DNS was not configured correctly - one more nail in the coffin of this problem. I phoned our ISP's hosting tech support, and they told me to call the ADSL tech support and get them to create a PTR record. So I called them and found out that I could do it myself, through a web tool. I changed the default entries that were there (they weren't actually showing up in NSLOOKUP), and now the reverse DNS seems OK.

Still got a few glitches with bounced mail - had a consultant in this morning looking at that, but I think that this should resolve most of the problems I have been having.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back