Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Make phone ring in two offices (for one extension) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

LePivert

IS-IT--Management
Jun 8, 2010
US
Merlin Legend release 5 (that's what I see on my guide).

Here's the situation.

We have a director that will have two offices: one in Building 1 and the other in Building 2.

There is a single phone system for all buildings (no need to dial out or anything like that).

When someone calls her extension (let's pretend it's 120), she wants the phone to ring in both offices.

She does not want to have to do the "Call Forwarding" and "Follow me" options that the end-user can configure on their desk unit.

She also wants to have just one voicemail to check (in case that has any bearing on the solution).

Is this possible? I've been looking around in the manuals I have, and googling, but not found anything yet.

Thanks in advance!

Yes, the second phone currently is associated with another extension (130).

She also wants the voicemail light to function in both offices so she knows if she has a message.

shared system access buttons or cover button.
Enter either or both on the secondary extension.

Is that programmed on the phone itself - or in SPM?

I was glancing through the sections of the "MLX Display Telephone User's Guide" but don't see those terms used.

I think SSA is what we want (but with no delayed ringing, rings immediately in both offices):

"When a call is received at the principal extension, it rings on the principal extension's SA button, as well as on all corresponding SSA buttons."

But I can't find programming instructions in my manuals.

Just a reference to *17 + ext (or something like that).

So where do I program this?

Could someone provide a link to the appropriate manual - or if step-by-step is only a couple steps long?

Thanks.

The message waiting light will only come on at the main extension.
You do this through Centralized Telephone Programming

First, consider the layout of the buttons on the telephone:

Code:
5-Blank       Blank-10
4-            Blank-9
3-SA OO       Blank-8
2-SA Voice    Blank-7
1-SA Ring     Blank-6

For the extension that will have the Shared System Access buttons, put an SA-Ring button on Button 6, then remove the SA's on buttons 1, 2, and 3, then reassign Button 1 as SSA-(Main Extension No.)-1, button 2 as SSA-(Main Extension No.)-2, and button 3 as SSA-(Main Extension No.)-3

So if your 2 extensions are 101 and 102, and 101 is the "main" extension, and 102 is the extension that will have the SSA buttons, they end up looking like this:

Code:
Ext. 101:                         Ext. 102:

5-Blank       Blank-10            5-Blank       Blank-10
4-Blank       Blank-9             4-Blank       Blank-9
3-SA OO       Blank-8             3-SSA-101-3   Blank-8 
2-SA Voice    Blank-7             2-SSA-101-2   Blank-7 
1-SA Ring     Blank-6             1-SSA-101-1 SA-Ring-6

Now the user can always use the buttons in the normal positions (lower left) to make and receive calls, and it will appear to come from the same extension, no matter which one is being used.

In Centralized Telephone Programming, click on the button to program, and press Delete to remove it, or press List Feature to scroll through the list of available functions, or press Find Feature and then PRS to narrow it down to just those features that start with PRS. On the Shared System Access feature, it will prompt you for the Extension that you are sharing with, and then the position of the button on the main phone.

[sad]OK...

I did not realize this would involve changing that many buttons.

She would like the phone at ext 2 to have the same buttons programmed as ext 1.

So that would look something like this:

Left Side:

5 - Direct Mail
4 - Do not Disturb
3 - SA ORIG - 120
2 - SA VOICE - 120
1 - SA RING - 120

Right Side (these are programmed to dial specific extensions):

10 - Auto 110
9 - Auto 111
8 - Auto 112
7 - Auto 121
6 - Auto 130

So... I'm not sure I can move 1 (SA RING) to 6 because button 6 will not be blank.

I'm thinking I could use 4 if she does not feel the need to use the "Do not Disturb" function? Right? Or not?

But most of all... do I access Centralized Telephone Programming from either WinSPM or the MLX-20 console?

Unfortunately, I don't do this very often so it's a little confusing.

OK... looking at page 41 in the System Manager's Quick Reference I see that both WinSPM and the programming console are options.

For Shared SA, I have to enter the following programming code - somewhere... :

*17 + primary ext. no.

I assume that I would enter that code after having selected the secondary extension?

In other words, if we want the phone to ring at either ext 120 or ext 130, and if 120 is the primary ext and 130 the secondary ext...

I would select ext 130 below - for the step "DIAL EXT. NO".

Correct?

Let's go the console route.

1. Access system programming section:

Menu -> Sys Program -> Exit

2. Navigate to the place where I enter the appropriate code:

Sys Programming -> MORE -> Cntr-Prg -> Program Ext -> DIAL EXT. NO (130) -> Enter -> Start -> SELECT BUTTON (note: possibly 4) -> Dial Feature Code (*17 + 120) -> Enter -> Exit

Does that sound about right?

On the extension that will have the Shared SA buttons, it must have at least one SA button of its own. That must be on one of the first 10 buttons. You will have to give up a button somewhere on the phone to get that one personal SA button. The reason I recommend putting it on button 6, is so that button 1, 2, and 3 can have the SSA buttons in the same positions as the SA buttons on the main set.

You're on the right track with the programming, press the button to be programmed, dial *17, dial the primary extension number, then position of the button on the primary extension

I agree.

However, if she has "6" programmed on the main set for a direct-dial (right term?) to ext 123, then that would prevent me from using 6, right?

That is, if she wants buttons 10 to 6 to have the same configuration on the secondary set.

You're on the right track with the programming, press the button to be programmed, dial *17, dial the primary extension number, then position of the button on the primary extension

OK, which button would that be? SA RING? Which happens to be button 1 on the main set.

That's what I would designate for "the position of the button on the primary set"?

OK, after I do this:

"press the button to be programmed, dial *17, dial the primary extension number, then position of the button on the primary extension"

I get a "programming error"

I go through the steps - step by step, from the point I select "Cntr-Prg":

1. I select Program Ext.

2. I enter the secondary extension here: 130

3. I press Enter (the corresponding button).

4. I press Start

5. I select button 4 on the console. That's number 4 as in TouchToneTommy's post above. By select, I mean I pressed the physical button on the console. Yes.

The screen looks like this:

- Blank
- Press Home to Exit
- Delete

- Sys Program ListFeature

6. I proceeded two different ways: either I enter the feature code as this point (*17 + 120) or I use the list feature option and select SSA or SSAcc. In this last case, I am prompted for the primary extension - which I enter.

7. I am then prompted to enter the "SA Position" which I think should be the button that we want to use for this purpose. I've tried both pushing the button and entering the nunmber. Once again, it's in position 4 based on TouchTomeTommy's diagram above.

8. I select Enter on the console.

What happens now? Was I supposed to do somethng first on the "remote" extension - with ? It looked like it was blank though? Can I use that button as well as another, technically?

I klnow we talked about moving but all the other buttons are used.

Note: it's at step 8 that I get the programming error. There's a flashing green LED next to button 4.

I just dialed into a system and did it, so here's the step by step:

In Centralized Telephone Programming, program Ext. 130

Press button 6, dial *16, press Button 6 again to confirm that it is SA-Ring -I

Press button 1, press Delete. Press button 2, press Delete. Press button 3, press Delete.

Press button 1, dial *17, dial 120 (for Ext. 120), press Enter, dial 01 (for button 1), press Enter. Press button 1 again and confirm that it says SSA/R 120/01 -I

Press button 2, dial *17, dial 120, press Enter, dial 02, press Enter. Press button 2 again and confirm that it says SSA/R 120/02 -I

Press button 3, dial *17, dial 120, press Enter, dial 03, press Enter. Press button 3 again and confirm that it says SSA/R 120/03 -I

Press button 1. Dial *14. Press button 1, press button 2, press button 3. Dial **14. This will set the auto line select to grab button 1, 2, and 3, but ignore button 6.

Now you are free to put the other Auto Dials, Direct VM, and DND buttons on if they are not already.

I know you don't want to give up button 6, but you really have no choice, 130 needs to have its own SA button somewhere on the first 10 buttons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back