Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Make own web browser

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssj3gohan

Programmer
Jun 2, 2003
AU
Does anyone know how i can make my own web browser in vb6? I dont want it to rely on MS Internet Explorer because the core is unstable.
I dont want to use ie or opera they are unstable and netscape is crap in the new revision.

Have you tried the Web Browser that comes with VB
Use Add Form and select Web Browser. Also you might checkout
they may have an ActiveX control the will do this,

Hope this Helps
MeonR

Good luck. You'll need it.

I know the IE core is unstable but hey, it's Microsoft.

If you want to code around the IE, you'll have to use the Winsock control to connect to the website and have to decode the HTML tags, asp stuff etc.

I don't want to say that it's impossible but I think you'll have to do a lot of die hard coding.

Why invent a wheel?

Maybe VB offers something I don't know about but I think yoú have to ask yourself: Why? and answer that question knowing it's going to take hours ans hours and hours of coding.

Patrick.

check out the VB(6) webbrowser control.
i just added it to a tabbed dialog control and "created" a neat little browser tab with very little coding.... doesnt have any bells and whistles but it gets around okay.

in fact i am on it right now.

daveleo

The VB webbrowser control USES Internet Explorers core. I thought he didn't want to use IE.

Patrick.

MeonR, daveleo -

The web browser control is nothing more than a wrapper around IE. The original poster said he didn't want to do that.

ssj3gohan -

What wolfert says is correct - you'll have to write a lot of code to parse the HTML coming in over your socket connection(s), and since it'll be in VB, it won't be the fastest thing you've ever seen. Don't forget that many sites expect the browser to implement JavaScript.

Good luck.

Chip H.

And don't forget encryption, flash etc. This can really become a pain in the @...

Patrick Wolfert

I think your going to need to get a good book on syntax anaylsis and compiler creation. It's a lot of brain working creating your own browser. But if your determine to create a unquie personal browser without using IE, you might want to consider other languages as there is plenty of readily available browsers for c, c++ and java out there with source code. I think with VB everyone uses the IE, well your already using one Microsoft product why not another. IE has also got a lil bit more stable over the years.

Humble Seeker
-----------------------------------------------------
The longest journey begins with the smallest step.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back