Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

make image b/g transparent

Status
Not open for further replies.

and

Technical User
Jan 16, 2001
GB
Hi - I am new to graphic stuff so go easy - I have an .eps file (a text logo - no paths or layers) that is white text on a black background. I need to use it whited-out in a quark file on a dark colour b/g. How do I make the logo have a transparent b/g in illust. or pshop so that just the white text shows?
Many thanks for any help you can give people!
Andrew.

I TOO AM NEW TO ADOBE. I CAN GET THE BACKGROUND TRANSPARENT IN PHOTOSHOP BUT WHEN I TRY TO PUT IT IN INDESIGN IT COMES OUT WITH A WHITE BLOCK BACKGROUND. THANKS FOR ANY HELP

1. In Illustrator, assign the type as white and delete the black background or change it to "none". It will look like it is white on white - change to preview mode if you want to see the artwork - resave the eps. When you import it into Quark, just the white type will show as long as you make sure the backgound of the picture box is changed to "none". I usually change all type to paths so that I don't have to worry about missing fonts.

2. In order for InDesign to see the logo properly, you need to save the illustrator file as an eps with an 8-bit tiff preview (instead of for Mac) and check off the transparent box.

A correction to:
2. In order for InDesign to see the logo properly, you need to save the illustrator file as an eps with an 8-bit tiff preview (instead of for Mac) and check off the transparent box.

Should be:
2. In order for the average page layout application like Quark to see the logo properly, you need to save the illustrator file as an eps with an 8-bit tiff preview (instead of for Mac) and check off the transparent box. Setting display performance to 'high quality display' in InDesign will display the vector art without the need for an embedded preview.

- - picklefish - -
Why is everyone in this forum responding to me as picklefish?

Hello all

Are there other forums out there besides Tek-tips that are geared to Adobe Gprahic products and Graphic designers/artists?

Are there other forums out there besides Tek-tips that are geared to Adobe Gprahic products

None more so than Adobe.com forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back