Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Make IE7 report as IE6 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

fluteplr

Programmer
Oct 23, 2000
US
IE7 Beta 3

Does anyone know how to make IE7 report itself to a website as IE6?

It seems to report as Mozilla 4 which one website I have to use is reading as IE4 and then refusing to work saying it need to be IE6.

I hate to have to go back to IE6 for this one stupid site. Also they are a corp. site so they are not going to change their page just for me.

Thanks.

User Agent String is the term for this.

Looks like this currently:
Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0b; Windows NT 6.0)

You can change this easily. Copy the below into notepad and save as IE_new_agent_string.reg :

========= Copy/paste below this line
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\5.0\User Agent]
"Version"="MSIE 6.0"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\User Agent\Post Platform]
"SV1"=-

========== end copy/paste above this line

You can easily undo the change by saving and merging the following IE7Undo.reg.

========== begin copy/paste below this line
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\5.0\User Agent]
"Version"=-

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\User Agent\Post Platform]
"SV1"=""

========= end copy/paste above this line

I have to disagree Bill, check the screenshot on the link above or give it a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back