Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Make DN ring on two TN's? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Munzzzzzzz

Programmer
Jul 31, 2002
US
On our option 11, we had an analog TN that was wired to a handset and to an external ringer on the factory floor. The user requested a digital phone, and I was not made aware that his DN also rang on the factory floor, so I went ahead and switched him over to a digital phone. Obviously, the external ringer isn't ringing when he gets calls now. Is there any way to make another extension ring when his is dialed, so I could set that extension up as an analog extension and wire it to the external ringer? Or, is my only option to switch him back to analog again?

the voltage to a digital phone is much lower than analog so the ringer will not work with pure digital. However you can build an analog with the same dn, attach to the ringer only and it should ring both digital and ringer at the same time.

Right, I knew the digital TN would not make it work, that makes sense. However, are you saying that I can simply set up an analog TN to use the same extension as his digital set? I didn't think you could use the same extension on two different sets (though I was just making that assumption... no other reason to believe that, I guess). Could you please confirm?

Yes you can have the same dn on multiple phones if needed and mix analog and digital

Just make sure MARP is on his primary digital extension .....

Ok, I think we've pretty much answered my question but now I want to try to understand this a little better. What exactly does MARP do? If I were to put the same extension on two digital phones, would both phones ring, or only the one that had MARP on it?

both will ring, MARP basically shows which phone controls the call. ie you can send the call to voice mail by manipulating HUNT and FDN. MARP makes sure that when you have multiple phones with the same number on them, but with different HUNT and FDN references, that it goes to the correct place. In this case you will build an analog but may not add HUNT and FDN entries. If this was the MARP'd phone the line would just keep on ringing and never get to voice mail etc.

OK, so here is my next question. Typically when I set up a new phone I just copy an existing one. I tried setting up an analog port with the extension by copying a different TN, but I am getting a SCH3300 error. I am guessing it is trying to add MARP to this phone and it is already on the other one or something, I really don't know.

Seeing how I've never set up a phone without MARP before, can someone point me in the right direction of the easiest way to do this?

I think I answered my own question. I did some searching and what I found was that I needed to set the port up with a different extension, then change the extension to the correct one. I tried that, and when I changed it, it asked me if I wanted to put MARP on that phone. I said NO, and I think it worked. Does that sound correct?

Did you look up the meaning of SCH3300 ?

You can't use the CPY command without having an unused DN to complete the copy to the new TN. You were entering a DN that was already in use somewhere.

Make your copy, give it an unused DN, then when done, change the DN to what you want.

Remember, there is almost never, ever, a reason to have two analog TNs with the same DN. You can just wire all the locations that need that DN in parallel to a single TN.

~~~
GHTROUT.com | Get the Input/Output Manuals | Tek-Tips FAQs | Recent Replies

I agree, it would not make sense to have two analog TN's with the same DN. However, in this case, the requirement was to have both a digital TN and an analog TN that both ring on the same extension. Obviously, it was not a problem that could be solved with wiring.

Thanks to everyone for all the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back