Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Make distribution group internal only?

Status
Not open for further replies.

danomac

IS-IT--Management
Aug 2, 2002
AM
This is probably a trivial question.

I don't need any of our lists to be available externally. Only our staff members need to send to these lists, there is no need to make it available on the internet.

Daniel.

Remove the SMTP address from the DL. I'm not positive this can be done on a DL. But it certainly can be accomplished on a mailbox, so I see no reason why it wouldn't be possible on a DL.

Did that work? That would be great.

Dan

Well, here's our scenario and possible solution:

Our local domain is x.org.local, and our mail is user@x.org.

So, in the distribution list's Email addresses, I unchecked "Automatically update email addresses based on recipient policy", set the default SMTP address to the x.org.local address (our internal domain), and removed the other SMTP addresses that were there from the default recipient policy.

So far, it appears to be working. I will wait another day to make sure (need to ensure that the default recipient policy doesn't replicate to these distribution groups) and I'll post another message here with a status. I'm sure this could be useful to others.

Daniel.

Just thought I'd mention it's working perfectly.

Daniel.

Nice trick, worked for me too. Just unchecked the update address box and added ".local" to end the of the email domain in the smtp address. We can send through the office but can't send from yahoo.com/external addresses.

Thanks for the tip!
Ron

You could have also went into the properties of the DL - Exchange General and set up Message Restrictions to accept mail only from a staff members Security group.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back