Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

make clipping paths to an imported object

Status
Not open for further replies.

laoscura

Technical User
May 25, 2010
US
can anyone tell me how to take a piece of art and make a clipping path out of it when I place it in Illustrator? I created an outlined object in photoshop and export the paths, but I can't fill it with any color.

I'm using an education version of illustrator 10 for windows. OS: XP home, Vista, and windows 7.

thanks!

Hi

Create the shape in Photoshop. Select the object, in the paths palette click create working path.

Next still in the paths pallet select save path.

Now you can make it a clipping path, I'm not sure this step is necessary but it won't hurt.

Save by exporting Paths to Illustrator.

You may not see the path when you first open it in Illustrator if it is not selected so you need to select it.

Once you have it in Illustrator select the path and select a fill color from the color icon in the tools pallet

The shape should fill, same for outline.

I did this to test it out.

Mike

Thanks Mike. It's funny, I did every single one of these steps before with no results. The only thing I didn't do was try to select the image in Illustrator. It pops into my art as an invisible element, so I've never tried selecting it before. Thanks for the help, because it works perfectly! I'll have another question soon too.

...in illustrator you can also find the view > outline menu function (command + y) useful for selecting objects and paths that would other wise be hard to get at...

...very handy for complex layering and problem solving...

...same command to switch back to full quality...

...can also be done by targeting a layer in the layers palette by command clicking the eye, left of the layers...

andrew

============
============

In Photoshop i do know how to create a clipping path using pen tools. Just go the path panel and you find path create path option in that area. You have to save the path. Then in some menu you will find export to Illustrator option i guess in the Photoshop menu option in order to export your paths in Illustrator.You can find some tutorial of or clipping paths in online for more judgment of quality exports paths from Photoshop to Illustrator.

Thanks...

As a graphics design professional i suggest to make clipping path using photoshop pen tool which really allow to cutout images very sharp. After go to illustrator go the layer path then export Paths from path layer. Select the path layer as well as the area where you want to add color then add color. For clipping path service you can visit:

Thanks for sharing your information. I guess graphic artists are using Photoshop to cut out background of image.So you need to use pen tool effectively.You do not need to export the vector path. I know a useful outsourcing provider who can offer professional image manipulation, Photoshop masking,Photoshop graphic design services,drop shadow and of course clipping path service at minimum cost.For top quality clipping path services,here is In personal, they also very good for raster to vector conversion, photo retouching and beautiful drop shadow making....

Best of luck...

@ syntechbd

giving a link to a solution in Indesign isn't going to help in Illustrator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back