Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Make Checkboxes Bigger 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

EllieFant

MIS
May 15, 2001
US
Hello,

I would like to be able to make checkboxes bigger. I realize that I will have to make my own custom checkboxes, just not sure what the process is to do this. I have looked at the FAQ posted on this in the Forms forum of this site and I am missing something...it says to name the boxes one thing and add code to the after update of yet another thing.

If someone knows of a site that may have an example of how to do this, I would appreciate the information.

Needs to work in Access 97.
Ellie
**Using Access 97 at work**
**Using Access 2000 at home**

lena.wood@starband.net

Hmmm, I just read the FAQ that you mentioned and while I haven't actually tried the code it does sound like it will work. However, the FAQ writer does have some typos in his code which is probably what is tripping you up.

He says to create 2 textboxes called chkUnchecked and chkChecked. (Sounds good so far), but then he says to add code to the AfterUpdate event of txtUnchecked and txtChecked. (Oops, he just changed the name of those textboxes)

Since the boxes are locked, though I'm not sure if the AfterUpdate would work. Perhaps the Click event would be better? Maq [americanflag]
<insert witty signature here>

Thank you for your reply. I am not sure this will work for me....may have to just use a text field and have the only things allowed is yes or no. It might actually be easier for the end users to understand as having a single check box could be confusing to those that don't use Access on a regular basis. Heck I am not sure if some of them have even seen access at all :)

I appreciate your time.
Ellie
**Using Access 97 at work**
**Using Access 2000 at home**

lena.wood@starband.net

Hi Lena

Try this:

Create a textbox on your form.
Set the Locked property to YES.
Set the FONT to something that will produce symbols rather than text. Something like Monotype Sorts. (This is going to depend on what standard fonts are available on your PC AND also what are available on your Users' machines.) I'm using Office XP, and have used a font called MARLETT. In this font, typing an &quot;a&quot; produces a checkmark.

Once you have found a suitable font, add this code to the ON Click event of the textbox, modifying the &quot;a&quot; to the appropriate character in your font set and the fieldname to your field name:

Private Sub txtSampleCheckBox_Click()
If txtSampleCheckBox = &quot;&quot; Then
txtSampleCheckBox = &quot;a&quot;
Else
txtSampleCheckBox = &quot;&quot;
End If

End Sub

Setting the Locked property to Yes means that no-one can type anything into the textbox, but it will still recognise the Click event.

Of course, if you have no suitable font for producing a checkmark, or no standard font for all your users, you could simply change the &quot;a&quot; to &quot;YES&quot; and the &quot;&quot; to &quot;NO&quot;. In this case, you would also need to set the field's Default value to &quot;NO&quot;.

HTH
Lightning

Ellie

Have a look at the toggle button, this might solve your problems. Also check the help topics on these

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back