Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Make a domain the default domain at logon screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

hack12

IS-IT--Management
Dec 26, 2003
US
hi, I have just converted to a domain environment running win2k3 server and winxp pro on workstations. Is there any way to ensure that the Domain always show up on the logon screen because say if I logon to the machine locally than after logging off the next user that comes along has to change to the domain name after pressing ctrl-alt-del. Some users might not realize that they need to change to the domain and will continue logging in thinking they are entering their passwords incorrectly hence locking themselves. Hope I was able to explain. I am unable to find anything on this but maybe I am not searching with the right keyword. Thanks for helping.

Can someone please help. Thx

Once they have successfully logged into the domain with their authentication, *and logged out again*, it should remember the domain they last connected to.

Just my 2¢

"In order to start solving a problem, one must first identify its owner." --Me
--Greg

This was posted recently, you can see if it applies?

XP logon window: change the displayed username/domain
thread779-1229267

School children happily cope with this 'difficulty'.

Just tell your users to be aware (postit on PC?)

The reg key given in the thread linney pointed you to should do it, specifically:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\DefaultDomainName

That key in the registry has already been however if i log on locally to the workstation than when logging off the local machine name shows up when the next user tries to logon. I want it to show the domain regardless of what the previous log on was. Do I have to change this on the Server as well? The local machine already has it set to the domain name but it still doesn't work. Thanks for help.

WARNING - Some users might not realize that they need to change to the domain and will continue logging in thinking they are entering their passwords incorrectly hence locking themselves".

315232 - How to Enable a Warning Message During Windows Logon Welcome

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back