Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Major Security Problem - please help. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darzza

Technical User
Mar 31, 2005
GB
HI,

So a few weeks ago I set up a database with a new workgroup information file (this is at work, and I put the workgroup info file on the network).

Now it appears we have a few problems:

1) For most but not all other databases (not set up be me) the users need access to, they need to use the password I have given them to get into the database. Why is this?

2) I was working in access and another user (who I have put into the workgroup I set up) was unable to get into Access. Why is this? He was trying to start a new blank database.

FYI - I know all the passwords I used and all the information given when setting up the workgroup information file.

I'm not sure if u have all the information needed to help out - if I need to let you know any more just let me know.

Thanks very much for our help.

P
T
Darzza

'Try fail, try again fail better....'

generally, a user "joins" a workgroup and thereafter need to use the usernam/password. To use databases not set up under the workgroup, the user must join another workgrouop. The "Default" workgroup is "System.MDW", which (if it hasn't been altered) allows all users to do anything. An easy way to have users work on Ms. Access with different workgroups is to provide desktop icons for the different applications/workgropups and include the necessary info ree the workgroup in the icon as a "Command line" Parameter. For further info, see the ubiquitous :F1" (aka H E L P) or one of the third paret tutorials which provide a more complete explination.

MichaelRed

HI Michael,

So to sort out this mess - do I just need to get the user to join back to the default workgroup?

Thanks,

P
T
Darzza

'Try fail, try again fail better....'

Hi I am writing a faq about security. it is not yet complete, but I'll include a part that might help you understand what access security is.
How Does Access Security work? (written for access 2000)
MsAccess is not a database
In order to understand Access security it is a good thing to understand that there is a difference between Access the program and Access the database. Usually nobody makes a distinction between the two, but doing so makes things easier to understand. The program (Msaccess.exe) has no security what so ever. However, you need the program to create databases and it will enable you to secure a database. In order to do this, it uses a separate database with a different extension (.mdw instead of .mdb)
So Access security always consists of two databases. One that contains all the objects that you have created (tables, forms etc, I will refer to it as the Objectdatabase) and one that contains information on all the users that can Access the Objectdatabase and all the rights that they have on the objects in the Objectdatabase. This is the workgroup file or workgroup database. To make a distinction between the two, Microsoft has changed the extension of the security database to mdw (instead of mdb).
There are several names for the workgroup file in use: workgroup file, workgroup database, mdw file or mdw database, they all mean the same thing.
Access security is always on (but not active), even if you don’t see it.
By default, when you start MsAccess.exe no mdw file is used (You can open Access without a database, try it). However when you create a new database or open a existing one, the default mdw file will be used to check the security rules (if any). This default mdw file is standard system.mdw which comes installed with Access/Office. It is located on the c drive (or whatever drive MsOffice/MsAccess has been installed on). If you delete the system.mdw and start MsAccess and open or create a database, a new system.mdw will be created. In other words: An Access database (*.mdb) needs an .mdw database.
In this mechanism Msaccess.exe is a member of a workgroup file. As said standard this is system.mdw but you could change this to a different one. There is a program named wrkgadm.exe to change your membership (I’ll get into that later on), and in later versions this program is integrated in access.exe.
Why do I say that security is always on but not active? Because you have to activate it by setting the password of the Administrator account to something else than blank. By default every user is Administrator (Access is built this way) A blank password means that security is not active and there are no questions asked.
! It is essential to understand that without special security you or anybody that uses the same computer logs in as administrator. Usually this is not what you want (if so please stop reading) so we’ll have to prevent people from logging in as administrator.
Below there are several steps listed that you’ll have to follow, but first some more explanation.

The role of the MDW file
As mentioned the workgroup file contains information on the rights on objects in one (or more ) database(s).
You can control which mdw file is being used. There are two ways to do this:
1. Tell the program to join a certain workgroup file (instead of the default system.mdw).
2. Tell Access to open a certain database with a certain workgroup file
In the first case all your databases will be using the same mdw file. If you have many users they al must be able to Access this mdw file. It would not be very practical to use the system.mdw on your hard drive for this, but if stored on shared folder on an accessible server it would be fine. I would not advise you for this strategy however, unless you have only one group of not to many users that will be using not to many secured databases. This because this one mdw file will hold all security information for these people and databases. You probably can understand that in larger organizations with several groups of people and several databases it is better for each group to have their own mdw file (hence the name workgroup).
The 2nd approach uses shortcuts. Instead of having a shortcut simply point to the database, you also have it say were your Access program is and which mdw file is to be used. This is an example:
Code:
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\MSACCESS.EXE" "\\ servername\db_folder\databasename.mdb" /WRKGRP ""\\ servername\mdw_folder \my_system.mdw"
With this method every database will be using a specific mdw file and you will be able to use Access with the system.mdw.
The workgroup file is the weakest link in the chain of security. There are plenty hacking tools available which allow you to look into the tables of this database and they will reveal the user accounts and password s stored in them. There are ways of masking the location of the workgroup file, but when security becomes that critical you are probably better of using a database server (Microsoft SQL server, oracle, MySql, PostgresSql etc)

For your problem, I think that some user have switched tehre access program to a MDW file that has security active, that is teh reason why they are prompted for a login. make them switch back to the original system.mdw and use a shortcut with startup options as mentioned to open your secured DB.

Goodluck!

Maarten

PS
If Im in err somewhere please let me know!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back