Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Major problems with Win ME

Status
Not open for further replies.

KCarneiro

Technical User
Sep 24, 2000
US
I had a couple of problems with W98, so I upgraded to WIN ME thinking it would fix the problems. It fixed 98's problems but it also came with it's own.1)My Keyboard's software is incompatible. My keyboard is a intelliype Pro from Microsoft.2)My mouse's software is incompatible.My mouse is a intellipoint optical also from Microsoft.Microsoft also has fixed this problem and you down load the new drivers from there web sight.3)When I go to listen to a cd with the Media Player it will play 3 songs then the sound vanishes.But the player still continues to play.I then check to make sure that I can play windows sounds(while the player is still running)and I can.I then will close the player and then try to re open it. When I go to re open it it will not open, it does nothing.I don't know if my sound card is not compatible or not. I have a sound blaster pci512.4)My computer will freeze when ever it feels like it.It loves to freeze when I am typing something.5)It likes to freeze on me when I go to shut down.6)I have a LT MODEM when I installed Win ME it made it a LUCENT WIN MODEM.my modem does not work half of the time.It tells me to re install TCP/IP.Then I try to go on line again and it works fine.I have not yet tryed to install the orginal drivers yet .I'm hoping that will help.I'm suppose to be getting DSL next week, that should be fun!!7)Sometimes when I double click on to My Computer The computer will freeze.
The place were I bought WIN ME is going to let me bring it back. Should I or can My problems be fixed?Is there a WIN ME 2 coming out and if there is when?If there is anyone that can help me please help me!! [sig][/sig]

I've been running Windows ME for two months. No crashes, great performance! I found it to crash frequently on AMD based systems. My only advice is make sure you get all your ME drivers before starting to run your computer. I've installed ME on 21 computer systems. Yhe only return was an AMD Athlon 900. Crashed and locked a lot. It had a defective motherboard, and the PC 133 128 meg ECC ram is not a good idea also. If AMD straightened out there chip, then I would be 100% for ME. I used Win 2K Pro for three days, it hates multimedia, or games! I don't work @ home, I play. Well I just want to say that ME rocks. But get the drivers first. Happy computing

Silly me, I hadn't even heard about Windows ME before I bought this emachine, and now, I find I'm not alone in the problems I'm having. I upgraded from an HP Pavilion 3100 (166 MHz, 16 MB RAM) running Windows '95 to 633 MHz, 64 MB RAM, etc. etc. I, too, experienced frequent crashes until I figured out it was my parallel port Compact Flash drive that was the culprit. I uninstalled the software for that, and Oila! all is working as it should be. Except for my scanner... It, too, runs on the parallel port, and though it worked fine on my old HP, now, it scans about 10 per cent of the page sometimes, sometimes half, and then stops. So far, no response from the manufacturer (I did download a new driver which it said was for my machine, but it didn't help. It's a Visioneer 6100b scanner. Is there anything I can do, or is it time to bite the bullet and buy another scanner?

Dezmo1190

I've problems with all Microsoft OSes on my Computer. It seems that the combination of a Pinnacle PCTV rave with a Creative Dxr3 and an ATI RAge Fury Pro AGP on an ASUS P5A-B with Ali Aladdin 5 is NOT MS compatible at all.

Also under Windows ME the mixer, cd and linein of my SB16 (ISA) are not working. You only get sound if you switch the wave volume to 100%. 0-99% results in no sound.

Best choice for the moment for me is Win98SE, but NEVER NEVER install IE5.5 because after that the you get unlimited crashes for free!

I myself bought Windows ME for technical problems with 98. But same thing 98SE is far superior, to ME. My suggestion bring it back!!! Microsoft still needs to work out some bugs

Hello Fellow Postees

i have had to fdisk my drive.
i had a virus in my sound drivcers.Somehow i have no idea as of yet though.
so had to use the ole 10g drive and set up ME again.
but before i formatted the 20 that had the virus on it i installed madrake 7.1(thinkin it virus wouldnt mess with linux) It went flawless
i got it up and runnin smoothe. then i was able to open the windowsside of the partition and erase the file and restore it through linux(thank god for the PenGuin)

the only thing i havent been able to do in linux is, install my drivers for the video card for the games i got.
i got a tnt2 v770 card and the quake3,Soldiers of fortune,tribes2 beta tester and mech warrior will not start up for some unknown reason .
(any mandrake or linux user help me out)

thanks again
Sandaddio

ps
Oh yeah the celeron system is still runnin
had to reboot it after the 3rd week. due to my son got ahold of it.
it is his machine now
hehe

I hate WIN ME...I had to buy a computer that comes with it preinstalled, no crashes, but lots of hanging while I am doing anything, almost every day I have to End Tasks manually so it doesn't freeze on me like it did.
I want to go back to Win98 or even 2000, but I don't have the CD's, nor the money to buy them now...I think I am sticking with the c--p WIN ME till I get some money

Eshta!!

MKMA, If you complain enough to the manufacturer of your new machine they may just send you a 98 disk to shut u up.
Good Luck

running windows me. whenever started to run two or three applications simultaneously, win me would freeze, didn't matter what application I would use, had to reboot pc to regain control. As I looked into the problem, discovered that whenever application was looking for pc content (files, directories) pc froze. At some point realized that whenever cd player would start searching for cd file content, pc froze. Went into system properties, device manager, cdrom(atapi 32x) icon, entered setting tab, added a check mark to DMA options and my problem was resolved.

My experience with WinME has been it works on its own but nothing works with WinME. It's a pain in the backside to have to go to all 3rd party sites to download ME compatible drivers or patches, IF they have them yet. Problems I have encountered (I do warranty fixes all day long): WinME + USB = frustration. Basic USB devices (keyboard, mouse) are usually OK, but peripherals such as scanners & printers (especially Canon & HP)... GOOD LUCK!!! WinME + Samsung DVD drives = no movies! Either the image & sound skip intermittently or the picture flickers. Again, no drivers or patches seem to be available for this. And that's if the WinME device manager notices the DVD drive in the first place. (it shows up just fine in CMOS or at a command prompt IF the command prompt is run outside the windows environment, like from a bootable disk).

WinME was the worst thing I have seen since Win95. When 95b came out, after more updating, it ran ok. Win98 came along, I didn't use it cuz it was more buggy than Win95b or c. Win98SE came out, and I have not had one problem other than a bug with MSM and ICQ. Runs PERFECT. WinME comes out, and I think, ok, added features I'll try it out. Next thing I know, I get so many fatal errors I really got so frustrated that I installed WIN2000, which totally buggered my system. I went back to trusty ol WIN98SE and today going to make it a duel boot of Redhat 7.1 Linux. I'm going to really put it to the test. I have been in a PC world since early MSDOS and I'm starting to figure other than win98se if it's even worth it?
The only thing windows has going for it right now is the software being ported towards windows. If more people leave that atmosphere, it will leave windows with a bitter taste in it's mouth.
I had so many bugs in ME that I trashed the CD.
I run 700 Mhz Athlon, 256M memory, asus k7 mb blah blah matrox 6400... and it was buggy as heck.
Tsk. Shame shame.

I have to agree with you guys - Windows ME does indeed have a lot of problems and these seem to increase the more software you throw at it. Whilst it is true that WIN2K is primarily for business apps, etc more and more games are being made that can be run on any platform (World Championship Snooker works fine as do a few others). Hopefully, games will be continue to be made this way.

One really annoying bug is that I haven't been able to get WinME to keep the sound settings - I have to keep going back and adjusting my Bass and Treble after each reboot.

I have been running WIN2K for a while now and it works great for surfing the net and playing cds, mp3's etc. With the Microsoft Digital Speakers, I have even found that WIN2K produces a more crisp, clearer sound (if that's possible!! - maybe it's just my ears!).

However, for total gaming i also recommend sticking with Win98SE - its by far the most stable for gamers and it can handle most software and hatrdware that's thrown at it.

do i have to re-format to re-install win 98 ,after installing win me my p.c. crashed and all it does now is switch itself off?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back