Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Major problems installing Seagate SATA on Asus p4p800s

Status
Not open for further replies.

queball1

Technical User
Feb 11, 2004
AU
Hi All,

5 days ago I bought a new Seagate Serial ATA drive and I cannot for the life of me get it installed.

Basically the whole system is new, however it seems no SATA drivers were included with the motherboard (p4p800s). I have checked the Asus website and I cannot find these drivers anywhere.

Because there was no drivers on disc or the MB CD, I tried simply installing it without them, no go. Everytime I try to install either 2000 or XP it crashes, quoting an error that is not on the MS database. I even tried Redhat and it said cannot detect the harddrive.

I have replaced all other hardware same MS errors.

I have tried with the equivalent AMD drivers, no go. I even put it into an ADM system with serial, just to get Windows installed, when I put it on my system it worked until I installed SP4, then boom, gone.

I have tried with the p4p800 deluxe drivers, no go.

If anyone has these drivers or knows where I can download them from, I would really appreciate it.

Any other hints or tips would also not go astray.

Thanks heaps!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know you have looked, but they really will be on the motherboard driver disc that was supplied with the motherboard.
You will need to extract them onto a floppy so that you can install them during OS installation (F6 I think on initial setup)
You are looking on the motherboard driver disk for the name of the SATA controller (mine is Silicon Image) which is the common one.
Martin

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

Transfer your Sata drivers to a floppy, they are on the supplied CD, probably under drivers or others. You need also the TXT file called OEM something or other. Then get into the Cmoss and enable the Sata drive as boot drive. Then install XP or 2000 as it may be. As soon as the installation starts hit F6, it will ask you to do it if you need other drivers but only for a few seconds. Later it will tell you to use the S key if you need drivers installed. Hit the S key and it will ask to insert a floppy into drive A. Once it finds the drivers hit returne. That should do it ok. Regards

Jurgen

Well fixed it, turns out your don't need SATA drivers on that MB. Eitherway the RAM and MB where both stuffed, replaced them and it works a treat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back