Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MAJOR PASSWORD PROBLEM please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dineen

Programmer
Jun 20, 2001
US
We added passwords to the user accounts on our computer so that the kids could not use the computer - they are punished. WELL....one of them (no one is taking blame!) changed MY user account to a LIMIMITED ACCOUNT and changed their passwords. Somehow they got in and made all these changes. I cannot delete their accounts now or anything!!! How do I fix this problem? How do I delete their accounts or find the passwords and how do I get myself back as an ADMIN??? I'm about to go kick some ASS in about 2 minutes!

Is this XP Pro or Home? Do you know the password for the Administrator account (set up when XP is installed)?

when XP comes to the Profile selection step, press CTRL+ALT+DEL and enter the username of Administrator. More than likely, when it was setup, the Admin password was left blank... so, leave the password blank...

now, if one of your kids changed THAT password, then... i would suggest sending them to computer classes, since they have the inclination to learn about computers...

otherwise, if you want to keep the kids off of the computer, you will need to probably enter a power on password. this is in the BIOS (a.k.a. System Setup option when you first boot the computer).

if they left the Admin password blank, then you can set the permissions back to what they were...

good luck... Shane
and now for the impressive abbreviations:
DOA, SOL, AWOL, PEBKAC, id10t, FUBAR

You all helped! I was able to get in via admin login (f8 safe mode) create an admin password, change THEIR passwords and rights, and installed a program to lock them out. ;) Oh, they are DEFINATELY headed to computer school! (after i beat them for screwing with the computer! hee-hee)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back