Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Major Memory Problems 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

juxtabeginner

IS-IT--Management
Oct 4, 2001
US
Running W98.2E...Micron Millennia 500MHz 256MB.
The problem: The cursor hangs while whatever is running is completed, sometimes this takes quite a while.
I went to PCPitStop. There findings made sense:"Excessive CPU utilization 69%"
Another anomoly that may be the culprit. I get this message at boot up: EMM386 not running XML not present...
I went into the Windows directory and clicked EMM386.exe the DOS window was presented and the messages: Expanded memory services unavailable...EMM386 Active.
Does EMM386 need to be running...ie...is this the problem or is it something else. TIA.

Do a Ctrl-Alt-Del on the Desktop, shut down each program one at a time(except Explorer and Systray), and check the mouse pointer after each program is shut down.
If the pointer works ok after a particular program is shutdown, then you've found the culprit.
To prevent it from running at startup, go to System Information/Tools/System Configuration Utility/Startup, uncheck the box(es) for the program, click OK, and restart the computer.
You may also want to prevent other unnecessary programs from running at startup to reduce the load on the CPU, and to increase the % of system resources free and the amount of unused physical memroy.

ski...thank you for your help. I have already done that, actually twice just to make sure and it did not provide the answer. Do you think the EMM386 message is the clue. I don't understand the EMM386 messages. Do you know why I would get the "Expanded Memory Services Unavaliable" message yet it say EMM386 Active??? Again thanks for the help.

You are welcome, juxtabeginner.

I doubt that the emm386.exe file is causing your problem.
EMM386 is a memory manager that's required for DOS applications, and thus does not have to be loaded in Win 98.
If one got a message in Windows that the emm386 file was needed to run a DOS application, then it can then be loaded by editing the config.sys file.

Also, I get the exact same message as you when I open the emm386.exe file.

If shutting down programs running in the background does not cure your excessive CPU usage, then the only other way that I know to solve it is to do a format and a clean reinstallation of Windows.

Format and clean reinstall is a little drastic. I'm sure someone out there has solved this problem without going to that extreme. I thank you for your help, but I need to look somemore for a solution.

Hi-

Actually, format/reinstall isn't really all that drastic if you have backed up your data. It's certainly more straightforward than spinning wheels trying for weeks to find a solution while dealing with your mouse trouble every single time you use your PC.

I'd do the reinstall, get all the updates from MS & make an image. Gives you a chance to clean out files, reg. entries- houseclean in general.

Mom

Drastic from my perspective. I have 17GB of data and no way to back it up. I do not a CD-RW. So I am looking for a gentlier solution to the problem. But I do deeply appreciate all of your suggestions.

I've noticed a very strange occurance on my machine that perhaps someone could explain. I am able to mover my cursor at full speed around this site, but when I click on Favorites something weird happens: I am able to scroll up and down the Folders at full spead but when I open a folder and scroll up and down the files in the folder my cursor is not able to keep up with my mouse movements. It freezes on files momentarily and then jerks forward.
Can anyone explain what is happening here???? I would really like to know what is going on. Thank you so very much.

I just thought of something else that I've used (on a few occasions) to clear up other "weird" system glitches:

in BIOS enable "reset configuration data"-

Mom

Sounds like something running in the background that shouldnt be.
Usual suspects are
1. viruses (update and scan),
2. spyware such as Save /Savenow that comes with mp3 downloaders (download Adaware or Spybot, update, and scan), or
3.some utility that is doing more harm than good (remove any memory managers, crashguards, Norton Utils running in auto). Installing a firewall such as Zonealarm (Free) can also give some clues to hidden program activities if they try to access the internet.

If you do want to clean install then forget the format and start again business - just exit to DOS and rename the Windows folder and the Program Files folder then reinstall to C:\windows again (all your data remains unchanged - just reinstall the programs)

Peter G

another option to try...

run the SFC (system file checker) and have your Win98 CD ready... could be caused by faulty and/or missing systemfiles...

another option...

deinstall your gfx-card drivers and reinstall them or newer versions of them...

Ben

PS all other suggestions are totally valid, ie. VIRUS Scan, SpyWare scan (get Ad-Aware 6 or SpyBot there free)... could need a RegCleaning (RegClean 4.3 or RegHealer)...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back