Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Major issues with both of my systems!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thesuperiorone

Technical User
Nov 5, 2003
US
Having issues with BOTH Of my main computers. Problems described below.

Comp 1 specs:
AMD Athlon 2600+
Gigabyte MB with dual bios
768 MB DDR Ram
80 GB Seagate HDD
256 MB ATI vid card
CD-RW
Windows XP Pro

Issue with this computer: It keeps resetting itself at random times, there seems to be no reason for it. I have tried re-installing windows, switching hardware, and more. Also, prior to wipe and re-install, I was getting odd error messages such as "Disk Defragmenter NTSC needs to close" and asked the "Send/don't send" question. Odd thing was I hadn't run Defrag in over a month. Also was getting a lot of Generic Win32 process errors. Can't seem to find a reson for the resetting, it happens at my apt and my friends house

Comp 2 specS:
AMD Sempron 2500+
256 MB DDR Ram
Shuttle AN35N Ultra MB
64 MB ATI vid card
100 GB WD Hard Drive
CD-RW
Win XP Pro

Issues here: The computer will just freeze in the middle of something. Could be a SNES emulator, or MS word, or just on the desktop. Won't CTRL-ALT-DELETE or anything, have to hit reset. When I do that, it will not post. I have to physically unplug it and wait 20 minutes and plug it in again for it to post. Even then, I have to go into the bios and re-configure it to what it needs to be. Only thing I thought it could be was the voltage, the power supply was giving the CPU 1.58-1.6V when it requires about 1.65V.. I reset the voltage to give it the proper amount and it worked ok for about 24 hours. Then same thing..

I can't seem to figure these out, I really need help to get these going.. Any replies or thoughts are welcome. If you need more info, just ask..

Thanks!

Chris

Do you have any way to measure the CPU temps on the machines? Both problems sound like overheating CPU's. They aren't "overclocked" by any chance?

Micker- Neither system is overclocked. According to their respective BIOS readouts:

Comp 1:

System temp : 39c
CPU temp: 36C/96F

Comp 2:

System Temp: 43c
CPU temp: 47c
PWM temp: 47c

Chris

I forgot to mention that when Comp 1 started having issues, I was attempting to install my scanner. The install CD would not autostart. Also the drived seems to have a huuuuuuge issue reading the CD. The system slowed down considerably. I ended up having to eject the CD, and after a reboot the system would not even recognize the CD drive. I had to unplug it and re-plug it in. It works now, but I have the resetting issue now.

Chris

Thesuperiorone,
Are these two PC's networked together?
Do they share the same power source?
Is the power source a UPS?

On comp 1, go into Device Manager (in safe mode) and delete any references to the CD drive(s). You may have "ghost" drivers that are confusing the computer.

mainegeek:

The 2 pc's are part of my home network..
Currently, they are on seperate surge strips from the same dual-outlet, however this happens with any power source or even at my friends house 40 minutes away... And no, I have no UPS..

Micker377, There were no ghost drivers. The CD drive is working ok now..

With Comp1, it gets much worse when I attempt to play Flight Simulator. Or carry out my voulenteer work as ATC for an online Flight sim network, although it happens even if the comptuer is just sittign there.

This is really driving me nuts.

Chris

I just solved a major freeze problem on a friend's Athlon 2400 sytem. I made a lot of changes in the BIOS. I disabled a lot of things at once thinking that something was sharing resources with the on-board video. Now I have to enable them one at a time to figure out which one was causing the problem.

I also changed the settings on the following:

I increased shared memory to 64M
I changed 'cpu host/sdram/pci' clock from default to
133/133/34MZ

All I can say at this point is that my freeze problem was definately in the BIOS....

Thesuperiorone,
Have a look at the video card and insure that the fan is still spinning.The bearings may have seized which can cause akk sorts of problems.

macten88- The videop card is not shared memory. As for the other, where would I find that?

Mainegeek- The video card fan is still spinning.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back