Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Major iNotes Speed enhancement 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guy987

MIS
Nov 14, 2002
US
I am presently in the process of implementing a cluster arrangement for my Domino environment. While working with the new server and the HTTP task, I started to play around with some of the image settings options and wound up with some very nice and surprising results.

If you take a look at the Server document, on the Internet Protocols, Domino Web Engine tab, under the Conversion/Display heading, you will note that the default setting for this is to do all images as GIF, with progressive rendering enabled. For some reason, I never ever played with any of these settings, as I assumed that GIF's tend to be pretty small...

Since I had a non production server play with, I tried changing the setting to JPEG. The default image quality is 75. When you pull iNotes in the browser, the speed is basically the same. So, I tried lowering the JPEG quality value... at 20, the speed of iNotes went through the roof, yet the quality on the screen did not suffer enough to worry about.

SOOOO.... over to the production server. In addition to running iNotes, I am also running several in house developed apps that are web accessible. With a quality setting of 20, many of the icons that we use in these apps looked horrible. I gradually increased this value by +5 until I tested a range from 20 - 40. At 40 everything looked normal, but 35 was still acceptable. Again, iNotes performance was through the roof.

Bottom line... This appears to be a value that needs to be tuned to your environment. All of my testing is on R6.0.1. When you save the server document on R6, just issuing a tell http restart command activates the new compression settings.

I would be very curious to see if anyone else is able to notice a visible performance change just by playing with these settings a bit. I would personally have to place the speed at about double from what I had before.

Anyone else game for testing this?

Leo L'Homme, PCLP

Good call, I have not yet tried it on my production environment....but on my test server it made quite a big difference. That server is running off of 128K ISDN line and the INotes pages are actually bearable at that speed now. I tested both 20 and 40 and did not notice any real difference in INotes page quality.

I found this a few months ago and I used a value of 40. It is ridiculous the speed gain you get compared to the default value. I too had tested in my test lab and for some reason 25 seemed fine in there, but I chose 40 in production and saw no visible decrease in icon quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back