Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Major difference between v7 and v9

Status
Not open for further replies.

billyakabachi

Technical User
Jan 9, 2003
US
What are the major differences between Arcserve2000 and Brightstor v9. Need to justify an upgrade. Arcserve 2000 causes sooo much headaches.

ARCserve v9 doesn't have any really major differences with reference to ARCserve 2000, except for several enhancements in the interface, diagnostics, logging , cross platform management, improved performance, a master setup for all options at once and a NAS option . My experience up to now is that CA has done a lot of effort to develop a really stable version of ARCserve, based on the former versions. It installs really smoothly and works fine. Try to get your hands on a trial version ( or download it ) and find out for yourself. This is the best way to see if it's worth upgrading

regards

The database is still the same type, I think you mean the often seen question if dbdefrag really is working or not ??
If you have concerns about the database, use SQL as the ARCserve database.

regards

If you do use SQL as your database, don't forget to purchase the SQL agent so you can back up your database.

Hi there. . . .
Some Time ago, we used ArcserveIT in conjunction with a MS-SQL-Database as Arc-Database.

As Arcserve 2000 came out, we wanted to Update our Arceserver IT.
The Prob was, that we couldn't use the SQL-Database:
Impossible to convert to the "new" Arcserve 2000 Format, even to use it.

In my opinion, the best way is to keep the internal Arc-Database.

Have phun. . ..

ARCserveIT 6.61 started with the 'old' RAIMA database and came later on with the 'new' VLDB ( enhanced RAIMA ) database. To convert this to SQL you first had to use the DBTOVLDB utility in the ARCserve home directory. So a RAIMA database has to be converted to VLDB before changing it into an SQL database ( with VLDBTOSQL ) and a VLDB can be changed at once.
Personally I would prefer start with a fresh database after upgrading from any ARCserve version.

regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back