Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Maintenance stock versions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Lee

Systems Engineer
Mar 1, 2018
GB
Hi,

We have a "maintenance stock" of various IPO's mainly from so called upgrades to hosted. Most of which have had their SD cards removed.
The question is how can I find out what version they are currently running as we want to keep some on varying versions as we still have various older version we still maintain, so in the event of a hardware failure we simply swap the systems and continue using their current SD card.

I have been told that I can recreate a system to be on whatever version I want so long as we have the SD card with the Essential Edition license for that version, however I don't think this is true, can anyone confirm this?

Many thanks,

Lee

If the chassis is locked you will need an upgrade license to move it above the version it's locked to. Essential Edition won't do anything as it isn't version specific.

APSS/ACIS/ACSS-SME
not arrogant, just succinct.

You would need a SD card with R9.1 or older software loaded. You boot the system and do file>upgrade and it will show what the system is "licensed" for meaning the version it is locked into.

If the customer is going to run R10 or R11 then the PLDS essential license allows them to run that license without needing an upgrade license as essential edition is now version based (was not version based on ADI). I have tested this with a locked in R9.0 system and it will run R11 with only R11 PLDS essential edition license installed.

The truth is just an excuse for lack of imagination.

Hi critchey,

Thanks for the reply,I really should of known this! but thank you for pointing it out, I will be doing this and labelling all our stock now.

Cheers
Lee.

there are companies that will reset the time chip for a fee

Well if they have a PLDS essential edition license the locked in control unit does not matter anymore so even locked in control units are handy to keep around as spares nowadays.

The truth is just an excuse for lack of imagination.

Yep, old kit is great now, we are using old IP500v2s and vcm/ds etc cards with new SD cards and R11 licences to prebuild upgrade systems for customers moving from ADI to PLDS. Go to site, install new system alongside old and then just move some cables at the agreed time to "upgrade" them.

| ACSS SME |

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back