Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Maintenance levels for AIX5.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

chelldis

MIS
Jun 17, 2005
EU
I am perparing for 2 new p520's to be installed with AIX5.2.
Ofcourse we wish to equip this server unto the latest available maintenance level. Ive searched the IBM site for a package that will raise the ML from 0 to ML7. one thing bothers me, the packaging information says the following: "It is highly recommended that you install the
latest available fixes prior to using this software."
Is this just the standard warning? It looks to me as if I cant jump from ML0 to ML7 at once, the text implies i need to first install ML1, then apply the latest fixes, install ML2 install fixes etc. Its very contradictionary. Does anyone know what the deal is here?

Thnx

You can't install 5200-00 on a p5 - won't work... You need to have at least 5200-04 - see the "readme first" documentation that came with the hardware. Our p5 LPARs that are on AIX52 were installed with 5200-04 and then ML-ed to 5200-05.

I believe the 5200-04 minimum requirement also holds for non-LPARed p5s.

HTH,

p5wizard

wizard,

Is this meaning i need to comply with the pre-installed system? We ordered the AIX5.2 CD's with the hardware and asked them not to pre-install for various reasons.
Or I should make sure the CD's I get are already at least 5.2.0ML4?
If so, and Ive installed the system, the packaging information still tells me to fix stuff before going on to the next ML. meaning I cant use the ML4 to ML7 package either?

We dont have the documentation that came with the server yet, for we dont have the server in house yet ;) Im just doing pre research for when the systems get here, because we have a tight schedule.

Thanks in advance for your time

If the systems were ordered recently, the 52 CD set you'll be getting should be at least 5200-06, my guess is that an update CD will be there also to get to 5200-07

5200-05 was released Jan 20th '05
5200-06 was released May 6th '05
5200-07 was released Sep 30th '05

So if you want to, you can pick up the ML upgrade files for 5200-05->07 and 5200-06->07 but I doubt you would need either of them. You should get the software pack a few days earlier than the hardware, so better wait until you get that in your hands...

HTH,

p5wizard

hi ,

will there servers come pre-prepped ?

if not then ask IBM to send you maintenance levels

0-7 for AIX 5.2 they will send you a bunch of CD's then load and install them one at a time , all the pre-req software will already be on the CD's .

Basically get IBM to do it ( there is no charge for this along as you have a valid support contract with IBM)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back