Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Maintaining PriceLists 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdingman

IS-IT--Management
May 27, 2006
CA
Is there anyway to mass delete items from Pricelists (we several, couple thousand items each). When updating from Accpac Pro to Advantage 5.2/3 (before my time) they created pricelists for raw materials and work items that didn't need them, which is 80% of my database.

If you are sure the price list/items have not been used you can simply delete them from the tables using your very own favourite database editor. Then run a DIC to tell you if all is OK.

I'm not sure I am that technicaly adept. I can have my software partner do it, but the bill adds up pretty fast. I am with a small manufacturing company that doesn't have technical staff on hand. I was hoping that the import/export function would help but I suppose it only changes/updates.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Then he's charging you too much. It would take me 10 minutes.

Jay Converse
IT Director
Systemlink, Inc.

I agree with Jay - it should not be a time consuming function. A simple select statement followed by a delete. Done. Unless you have been using the price lists already.

I have done a macro for a client which allows them to delete a price list, it first deletes all items from the price list and then deletes the price list. Not much in it.

We are located dead centre of Southern Ontario, in a rural area, but close to major centres. I continually run into issues trying to locate solid programmers that can work practically to what I think are simple problems for experts. Let alone special projects we are trying to implement that can't be handled by canned software as is. Everything seems to take mininum 1 hour at $125 rate.
That is my biggest complaint with Accpac. It's too complex to change if you are not technical and gets expensive if you rely on third parties. Is there a source for Accpac programmers that work over the web?

This is not a programmer issue - any ACCPAC consultant should be able to do this. And yes, many consulting firms could do this sort of stuff using one of the many communication tools available. Call me in the morning and I will help you.

You can get the contact info from our website at Since you are a few hours ahead of us, e-mail me the following:

Your database type (P.SQL, MS.SQL) and the price list codes you want removed.

Having read through the responces, I used MS Access to link via ODBC to the files. I have expermented in using it to delete a few numbers (the ones I have to delete are all grouped together, so I can actually just select and delete) and it worked fine.

Thanks to everyone for their help and direction!

There you go! That's exactly how the big boys do it. If you know where to look, sometimes it's not rocket science at all...

Jay Converse
IT Director
Systemlink, Inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back