Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mainframe connectivity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metcalf

MIS
May 20, 2003
US
I have an application that requires a drive mapped from a Windows 2000 server to an IBM mainframe as well as another mapped from the mainframe back to the Windows 2000 server. Does anyone know how to accomplish this? Also is there any way to accomplish this in the background, i.e., without having an account logged onto the Windows server continuously? Any help would be appreciated.

You want to activate and setup NFS (network file sharing) on the mainframe. It uses Unix system services under OMVS.
It is not a trivial setup. You will want to get on the IBM site and read the documentation on setup. It DOES work and I recommend you use GIGABIT Ethernet over OSA adapters on the mainframe.

Thank you for the help. Their site does go into quite a bit of detail concerning how to set it up, but haven't found an answer for my last question. Will it maintain a connection in the background or does my Window server need to be logged in to access the mapped drive? Thank you again for any help you can provide for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back