Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Main number ported over T1

Status
Not open for further replies.

coniglio

Technical User
Jun 17, 2003
US
A while back i replaced a bunch of copper lines in one of my remote offices with a T1 and was instructed to have the office main number ported over the T1, but as a separate trunk. I do not understand what that means (porting it over a separate trunk). does it mean one of the 24 channels is used exclusively for incoming calls to the main #? can i port the number and NOT put in a separate group? Thank you.

You can port the number without using a separate group of course

Well what is the difference? and if i port it over a separate trunk does that actually mean a separate channel? thank you.

The question I'd ask is did the person making the request no voice - sounds like the type of question a data networking/IT person would ask. The only ways in which you could dedicate channels to a number over a TI would be to use fractionalised E1/T1 or use a statmux. Me, I'd just make sure the original pilot number gets terminated where ever you want it

so in other words it makes no difference whether i ask to have my main number ported over the new T1 or whether i ask to have it ported as a separate trunk over the T1?

I wouldn't have thought so unless the thinking was to reserve channel capacity for the main number. I'm also guessing that your old number is not part of the ddi number range associated with your new T1

correct on the second part, at least. it isn't part of the new range.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back