Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mailto - length restrictions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neilf

Technical User
May 15, 2001
GB
I need to mail up to 700 email addresses (using a dynamic string from a recordset to get the addresses). If I use the mailto command nothing happens, as if the hyperlink goes nowhere. If I paste the string created into outlook it works fine & if i cut the string down to only contain a few addresses then mailto works.

I'm guessing I can use cdonts and the smtp service to get round this but i would rather use outlook. Anyone experienced similar problems? know a solution? (this is intranet stuff so registry changes are possible if thats the solution).

Thanks in advance. :)

I think the restriction is the string length - i guess the same restrictions that apply to using 'get' to processing a form.

Hi

Really, try to use CDONTS, it is a doddle once it is set up and then you can iterate through your recordset and send an individual email to each person. If you want to keep a copy of emails that are sent in Outlook, just make sure your name is in the list.

Take a look at

thread333-229033

for a run down on CDONTS Derren
[The only person in the world to like Word]

This the ammount of emails that can be sent with different types of mailing software...

This is per hour:

CDONTS --> 32500
Persists ASP EMail -- >18000
J Mail ---> 12000
ASP Mail ---> 12000
SA SMTPMail ---- >5000

Ok Thanks - I normally do use cdonts but the user wants to use Outlook. They're happy to paste the addresses from a textfield so all is fine, if a bit messy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back