Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mailto Form and IE5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mow

Programmer
Mar 29, 2001
US
Dear all,

I have created a site which will be distributed via CDROMs and I have a form to collect feedback from people. I cannot use server-side scripts to implement the form-to-email ('cos it's on CD).
I have therefore used the following form tag:

<form enctype=&quot;text/plain&quot; name=&quot;frm1&quot; method=&quot;post&quot; action=&quot;mailto:myaddress?subject=the subject&quot;>.

But it doesn't work. I have once seen some article somewhere that says mailto doesn't work with IE5, but I have created simple mailto links without any problem in the past. Does anyone know what the problem might be? Pls HELP!

Looking forward to suggestions, hints, tips...

Try it without the ?subject=the subject and post back your results.

If it's not working i suggest you post a link to your page(i know it's for a CD but can you put it somewhere?)

Have Fun...

Sharky99 >:):O>

Thanks for your suggestion - I've tried that.

It brings up my mail client and attaches the message to it as an excel file. But it leaves the 'to' address field blank.

My mail client is Lotus Notes. Maybe I should try this with another email client. Here goes...

I changed my email default to yahoo mail ... and same problem.

I tried Outlook Express ... and it works fine! B-)

I'll spend some more time finding out what works and what doesn't but my preliminary conclusion (same old fact actually) is - client side form-to-email is simply unpredictable. Or does anyone know how to get around this? Or do I (we) simply accept it as a fact of life? B-(

Sorry i only tried with Outlook but it sure works with IE5.

I never thought it wouldn't work with the others...

Have Fun...

Sharky99 >:):O>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back