Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MAILsweeper for SMTP security service 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

richyd

MIS
Jan 4, 2002
GB
Hi,
I’m currently experiencing this error on our mail sweeper box since the server crashed.

ERROR

The requested operation on the ‘MAILsweeper for SMTP security service’ service failed.
The system failed to configure the Data Management Engine.

(Version 4.3 on Windows 2000 Adv server.)

Does this mean anything to anyone as I can’t seem to find anything on the web regarding it.

Thanks
Richy D

This is now resolved, due to permissioning with the antivirus update!

We have the same problem. What did you do to solve it?

recreated the Sophos Security policy, not sure what the steps were as someone else performed this.

This is a problem with Sophos & Mimesweeper integration:

To fix...

- Stop all services for Mimesweeper
- Browse to c:\program files\sophos sweep for nt- Check you have SAVI.DLL and SAVI0.DLL
- Rename SAVI.dll to SAVI.old
- Rename SAVI0.dll to SAVI.dll
- Start the services

This will solve the problem.

This is my first post and I hope it is usful!

Carl

I had spent weeks trying to get my own copy of mailsweeper to configure properly and it was only this post that showed me the problem...I took of sophos and voila mailsweeper worked fine.

However mail scanning is obviously something i am keen to have so i reinstalled sophos following the sophos for mailsweeper guide and it failed again. I had a look in the Sophos folder for the files SAVI.dll and SAVI0.dll but only had the former...I cant therefore apply the fix.

Can anyone help me...please :)

Regards,

KN

I know you have fixed it but this is the first thread i found on a search and have found another solution to a similar problem.
So for other users.. if this hasn’t fixed you problems the problem may lie with you anti-spam filters. These are located here \MAILsweeper for SMTP\AntiSpam and are the .txt files named asf15, nsasf15 if you have backed these up at some point try restoring them from when you knew worked. This worked for me. If not re-install antispam.

I recently came across this on our Mailsweepers which use Sophos. It was a result of running automatic Sophos updates - which from time to time change the Savi.dll file. If the file was in use by Mailsweeper at the time, it can get corrupted. Savio.dll is the saved last version. Our cure for this was to run Sophos updates twice a day by hand, with the Mailsweeper security service stopped. Drastic, but it was felt to be better than having mailsweeper stop in the middle of the night and upset people. I'm looking for a compromise where IDE (virus detection definitions) are automatically installed as soon as released BUT 'engine updates (virus disinfectitions) are done manually. If anyone's found a way to do this....

We got it working but to be honest the system is so unstable I have decided to upgrade to a much better solution. We are currently looking at message labs and MailMarshal/webmarshal.

They both promise automatic updates (for known and unknown viruses) and give you a 30 day trial as well. We are also going to upgrade from Sophos to McAfee as Sophos recently failed to find a number of viruses on our network and the support they offered was woeful.

Has anyone got any experience with either of these two pachages?

Kingnez

We are using both MIMESweeper for WEB and SMTP with Sophos AV software. We use the Sophos enterprise manager to perform all the IDE and av software updates without having to stop and start any services and it works like a dream.

Our office in the sates uses mail marshal and they have no end of problems with it.

Simon.

Your problems with Sophos stem from the fact that you are using Sophos plugged into MSW as a AV Scenario, when you should in fact be plugging it into MSW as a Content Scanner scenario.

BUT first, you need to go to and download it, copy the .dll into your \Sophos Sweep for NT folder, then run the .bat in order to register it.

Then, you delete your Sophos AV scenario and create a Sophos Content Scanner scnenario.
You should automate all your Sophos updates - they will not interfere.

MSW is perfectly stable, so whatever problems you are having are problems you can fix - ensure your server is up to spec, it is clean with plenty of free space and is not being used for any other applications. Ensure your AV is not scanning the \Mailsweeper folder (otherwise it will interfere with the mail processing by deleting messages as they are being processed). Above all, ensure you keep your MSW installation up-to-date - the spammers\virus writers don't stand still, so nor should you.
Latest patch is 4.3_17a.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back