Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mailboxes backup with Veritas' Backup Exec

Status
Not open for further replies.

igsla

MIS
Jul 6, 2001
US
Hi,

I am using Veritas Backup Exec for Win NT/2000 server v8.5 and set it up to backup individual mailboxes. I have done everything possible, but it still doesn't work. When we had NT server and Backup Exec v8.0, it worked successfully, but haven't been able to get it to work on Win2000 server.

I created a backup service account, gave it domain admin rights, attached that account to start all the backup exec services, and followed other directions, but when I am trying to select the mailboxes, it prompts for unique mailbox user name to attach to "Microsoft Mailboxes" and when I enter the user name that is suppose to be the backup exec service account, it fails and says couldn't attach. Does anyone have any suggeststions?

Thanks in advance, -Randy

Okay matey you have to instaLL MAPI CLIENT ON BACKUP EXEC SERVER, I.E OUTLOOK WITH ADMIN MAIL BOX SETUP, AND YOU NEED TO LOGIN AS ADMIN USER.

TA

PRAFS

i had this with mine and got the info from veritas tech support, stop the backup exec services, go to program files/veritas/backup exe/nt/data and rename a file called bewinui.ini to .old start the services, start backup exec then go to backup selections tab, drill down to the MS exchange mailboxes and highlight it. go to network menu and then set default attach info. If this still doesnt work you need to make sure the account you are using has the correct permissions ie admin rights and add the account in exchange with an admin role within your domain permissions. Finally take the account out of administrators, place it back in and add it to log on locally etc in domain manager if all else fails.

oops i forgot about the outlook client first, i took it that all that was done but still couldnt get it to work

Having the same issue here... Unresolved.

I have followed all the suggestions made in this FORUM, including the ones in this THREAD. I can browse the mailboxes to select them for backup (down to the individual emails in an INBOX).

I am using a BACKUPEXEC user thats a member of ADMINISTRATORS, DOMAIN USERS, and DOMAIN ADMINS. I have gone into Exchange SYSTEM MANAGER, R-Click the TOP/FIRST ORGANIZATION, "Delegate Control...", and gave FULL Administrative privledges to BACKUPEXEC. Also killed the BEWINUI.UNI file.

When selecting mailboxes, I am asked for a UNIQUE EXCHANGE MAILBOX NAME that belongs to the BACKUPEXEC SERVICE ACCOUNT... when I put in ADMINISTRATOR or BACKUPEXEC, it rejects it... when I put in PETER (my acct with admin rights), it accepts it. When I do a backup, it still FAILS.

Any further input would be GREATLY appreciated!

THANKS!
Peter

Hi
I'm having the same problem as the above, and have tried everything in this thread, but have had no luck. Have any of you managed to fix this problem yet?

Hello everyone

This veritas thing is terrible. I am telling you can't get this stupid thing to complete a job to save the life of me. There are way to many things you have to do to this thing to make it work right. I have used arcserver and its still has problems with exchange. These backup thing is terrible. You know what does work though and I love. ITs ghost. YOu might take the machine down for an hour but you know what when you need to restore the data it is the only proven backup program that works. And its cheap. Screw this other stuff.

Now if I could get my boss to see it the way I do

Drizzits

Bigbenn,

BE working like a charm now... have it in several places and it's working fine. Let me know if you want details...

things to try.

Make sure the account you are using for backup exec (bkup)is the account for all the Bkup services in control panel

try to attach to mailboxes

what version of outlook are you running?

delete the bewini.inu asd described above.

sometimes repairing outlook may work, something to do with the mapi client.

what version of exchange? Service packs?

OK

Had the same problem, one thing to try which made backup exec work on my win2000 server / Backup Exec 8.5 is to make sure you put the backup exec user / service account in as a full Exchange Administrator in Delegate control in the Exchange System manager. Go into exchange system manager and right click and go into delegate control, right click the top entry in system manager then right click.

Other than that try installing outlook on your server and open the backup exec user / service account mailbox and send and recieve emails. Also make sure that the backup exec system account is not hidden in the exchange address list.

I do not know the people have problem with backing up remotely and other stuff like NT to Win2k Exchange so on and so on.

Perhaps the install and setup was wrong, i am running NT PDC and Exchange on Win2k, Progress DB on NT, running Backup Exec 8.5 with the proper agents installed,
it works like a charm and tech support was helpful

i was able to back up across the network on my db and mailbox, works like a charm, been using it for years and support on it, i have no trouble, yes the older version did have some issue

i suggest you guys un-install it completely and re-install the entire thing from the ground up
make sure you back up all *.U01 files for your catalog
C:\Program Files\Veritas\Backup Exec\NT\Catalogs
just copy the entire catalogs folder

good luck

Hi All,

I just went through this with same problem, I ended up contacting veritas support and this is what they told me:

Please refer to the following steps to configure Exchange mailbox backup.

A) On Exchange server

1) Create one new Mailbox enabled user ( bkadmin )

2) Add "bkadmin" to Domain Admin & Local Administrator groups

3) Start Exchange Administrator utility and grant bkadmin user permissions on site object (Admin Role)

B ) (On Media Server)

1) Log on using bkadmin to exchange domain

2) Configure Outlook profile using Exchange service

3) Send Mail to some different user

4) From Exchange server, copy EDBBCLI.DLL file to \winnt\system32 (to the Backup Exec server)

(it is very essential that EDBBCLI.DLL file to be exactly the same version
on both the Exchange server and the BackupExec server)

5) Copy MAPI32.DLL from Program Files\common files\system\mapi\1033\nt to Veritas\Backup Exec\ NT

6) Stop all the Backup Exec services

7) Rename the bewinui.uni file to bewinui.old ( Path= Program files\Veritas\Backup Exec\NT\DATA )

8) Restart all the backup exec service

9) Start Backup Exec and select the mailboxes and provide connect info as bkadmin

10) Confirm that Exchange Administrator utility is installed and connecting to exchange server

Also make sure that you are running the most current Build which is Build 3878.
You can download it from here:

Hope this helps you out..
mot98..[peace]

"Where's the beer?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back