Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mailbox store at 16GB limit

Status
Not open for further replies.

999Dom999

Technical User
Apr 25, 2002
GB
The store dismounts cos of the limit and when you restart it, it will stop in about minute or 2. Is there any quick fix I can do reduce the size to keep the store mounted long enough to start permanently reducing the size of the users mailboxes? like disabling mailboxes or something?

What ever you delete the database will stay at 16Gb.
You Need to do one of the fallowing...

1- You need to make a defrag of the DB.
"Defragment your Exchange database offline to reduce the physical size of your Exchange database. You can perform offline defragmentation by using the ESE utility (ESEUTIL) while your mailbox stores and public folder stores are offline. "

2- Upgrade you Exchange Version to the Entreprise version. With this version you don't have the 16Gb limitation.

If you select option one, keep in mind that shortly you will exceed 16Gb again.

Good luck![thumbsup2]

Thanks option 1 for now. I see that enterprise is around £5700 and standard it about £1100 so would it be cheaper to use a second server and use standard edition to get another 16GB? Or is enterprise the better option?

For sure Entreprise will be a better option.
You will avoid any futur problems about the DB size...

If you buy another Std, you will need more hardware and hardware is always more expensive then software!

This is only my opinion and what we did here 2 years ago...

This is a lot of work to upgrade the server... But with a good planification and some time this is a easy job!

How much work exactly is involved in the upgrade? I looked at a microsoft article on doing this upgrade and all it says is put the cd in and run setup and click reinstall. It has no further information? Was it that simple?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back