Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

mailbox size message

Status
Not open for further replies.

jakess

Technical User
Apr 17, 2000
ZA
Lots of users get the warning that their mailbox is over it's maximum size and will then start deleting, but it takes sometimes days for Exchange 5.5 to pickup that the mailbox is now smaller.In the meanwhile the users are unable to send any email using Outlook 98. Is this a replication problem on Exchange or what happening?
I have check their Inbox, Sent Items etc for large attachments.
Any help welcome.

Several choices - where are you checking the size? If its Exchange Admin, make sure you are on service pack 4 otherwise it doesn't read it right.

Check the deleted item retention period.

Use Outlook 2000 folder size option to check the size for an accurate figure.

Now we have had problems where the user deletes quite a few messages but does not delete them from their Deleted Items bin. Once they remove these files they can then send e-mail. At this point the files should no longer show up as part of the users allocated space although they can still be recovered depending on the retention period.

Vince.

The users did cleanup their mailboxes including their Deleted Items. The only why i can get them to email was to increase their mailbox size.How does one read the "Total no. Items" under the Information Store\Mailbox Resources details?(30,456 for example)?
We have Sp4 on Exchange and where do i check the retention period for deleted items?
One more question...i forgot where to enable message tracking again

Just another hot day under the African sun

If you view the properties for the private information store you can view the limits that are being used for the information store. This will also show you the retention period for deleted items.

To enable tracking open Information Store Site Configuration under the site. It should be checked.

Vince.

Retention period can be set on the properties of the private and public information store.

Message tracking can be enabled from the Information Store Site Configuration, the MTA Site configuration and also on your Internet Mail Service configuration. You can also choose how long to keep the log files for tracking by going into the System Attendant config for the server.

David

"Check the deleted item retention period."

This doesn't count towards your size limit.

It sounds like your not looking at the size via Outlook when the e-mail notifies them.

Mailbox resources is broke. Always has been.
Only the newest isinteg will fix that. Dan
Microsoft Exchange Support @ Microsoft

i have this problem now with only one mailbox and it's driving me mad. According to Outlook the user has almost nothing in his mailbox(250k). His retention peroid on Exchange\Information Store is also set to 0 but under Mailbox Resources under IS it shows total 12940k and our limit is set for 10000k by all normal users.
I do not wish to set his mailbox size higher.
The user is now unable to send any mail.

Maybe this is a shot in the dark, but does defragmenting/compacting the exchange database help at all? You can do so with the following commands ran from the \exchsrvr\mdbdata directory:
eseutil /d /ispriv /tPRIVDFRG.EDB /p
eseutil /d /ispub /tPUBDFRG.EDB /p
rename PRIV.EDB PRIV.OLD
rename PUB.EDB PUB.OLD
rename PRIVDFRG.EDB PRIV.EDB
rename PUBDFRG.EDB PUB.EDB

You must stop services while you defragment. Not sure if this will help your problem, but it *shouldn't* hurt. =)

Jakess
I had that same problem this morning. Turns out the user had the view set to only show the last seven days. It's a shot, but check for a filter view.

Another sugguestion, don't run eseutil unless Microsoft PSS tells you to do so. Your databases should be doing this on their own every morning.

Jessica

You may want to try checking the mailbox size from the user's Outlook as well. Right-click on the Outlook Today entry in the folder list, go to Properties and click on Folder Size. this will show you the total size of the mailbox as Outlook sees it, as well as how much is in each folder.

A while back one of our users had managed to drag a few items into the actual Outlook Today folder, which effectively hid them. In this case this solved the mystery with used up mailbox space he couldn't account for.

I realise this is very basic stuff for most, but hopefully it may be useful to someone out there. =)

You may want to try checking the mailbox size from the user's Outlook as well. Right-click on the Outlook Today entry in the folder list, go to Properties and click on Folder Size. this will show you the total size of the mailbox as Outlook sees it, as well as how much is in each folder.

A while back one of our users had managed to drag a few items into the actual Outlook Today folder, which effectively hid them. In this case this solved the mystery with used up mailbox space he couldn't account for.

I realise this is very basic stuff for most, but hopefully it may be useful to someone out there. =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back