Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mailbox Resources

Status
Not open for further replies.

max7600

IS-IT--Management
Dec 14, 2001
GB
Over the past few years my company has seen many people come and go unfortunately my predecessor was not very good at keeping things tidy so our exchange 5.5 server is now populated with many mailboxes belonging to ex-employees from 2-3 years ago.

I need to know how to delete thes mailboxes from the system in order to free up some space on the server. Highlighting the item in mailbox resources page of my Ms Exch Admin and hitting delete doesn't do anything and if I delete the mailbox out of the receipient name page his name disappears from the global address book but his mailbox and it's content is still on the system.

What am I doing wrong?

info: Circular loggin is enable (does this have anything to do with it, should I disable it anyway or keep it on)

Thank you I appreciate all the help you guys can give me

You will need to run one of the database utils to compact the exchange priv.edb I forget which util it is but its listed in the backoffice utils pack. Exchange Database are built on the same Jet technolgy that Access uses and deleted records are justed marked until a compact is run.

Robert Davis

At an MS-DOS prompt, change to the Exchsrvr\Bin directory.

Type the following command to compact the Priv.edb file:
edbutil /d /ispriv
Type the following command to compact the Pub.edb file:

edbutil /d /ispub
NOTE : For Microsoft Exchange Server, version 5.5, use the following commands:
eseutil /d /ispriv
eseutil /d /ispub

Hi.
After running the Eseutil, you should also run
the "isinteg" from the MS-Dos prompt:
isinteg -fix -pri -test alltests

Thankn you all for your promtp responses, just a few quick question.

1- How long does the compacting util take to run approx?

2- Should I wait until the end of day before running the utils or does it not make any difference?

3- What does "isinteg" do?

I appreciated your help
Cheers

1. How long is a piece of string? In other words, depends on your processor, mail database, disk speed, all sorts. Probably an hour on average, but maybe 2 to 3 hours.
2. You can run them at any time but the server is down while you do it.
3. ISInteg checks the integrity of the information store - looks for corruptions and can be used to correct them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back