Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mailbox folder location

Status
Not open for further replies.

Programmer
Feb 3, 2003
NL
I'm trying to free up some diskspace on my Exchange Server.
I'm relatively new to Exchange Server. Is there a possibility to set the filepath for a folder in a mailbox to a different location.
I want users to use this folder as an archive instead of the standard archive method in Outlook, but I don't want the files in this folder on my Exchange server, because of lack of diskspace.

Can somebody please help?

Greetings,
Remko

You can create a personal folder on the Users hard drive through Outlook. Then they can drag all there mail from the inbox to the personal folders, this would move the mail from the server to the workstations.

Once a pst (personal folder) has been created on the user's local drive, the AutoArchive function of Outlook can be configured to use this folder. Keep in mind that messages that are archived to a pst will be lost forever if the pst is deleted or if the pst is password protected and the user forgets the password.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that the email should stay available to all users (if they have proper rights). So a PST-file locally or on a server isn't an option, because this isn't available to other users.

The sort of solution I'm looking for is something like a folder in the mailbox of which the location isn't on the Exchange server, but on a fileserver. The problem with this is that Exchange doesn't allow external folders locations (if you know what I mean).

Thanx!

Greetings,
Remko

Sounds like you are stuck between a rock and a hard place.... Actually it sounds like your server is a candidate for additional disk space. [thumbsup] Have your accounting folks grant you the monies needed for adding disk space to your server. I would also, after this is done, set limits on how much mail each user is allowed to keep. Otherwise there would be no incentive for them to keep their mailboxes cleaned up. [wink] The bigger the exchange database becomes, the slower it runs. [thumbsdown] If you don't set limits, it would be the same as digging a bigger hole in the ground because your current pond isn't deep enough. Eventually you'll fill that bigger hole up and be back in the same situation you are in now. [thumbsdown]

Just my 2 cents worth.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back