Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

mail will not send to local groups

Status
Not open for further replies.

y2k1981

Programmer
Aug 2, 2002
IE
OK, this is a basic enough problem ... I think. I don't work on adminsitering Notes or anything, I just use it as my mail client at work. I've created a local group with three memebers, but when I enter the group name in a memo and hit send, it says that it can't find any entry in any address book for Group Name. Why is this?

This local group, do you use it when connected, or do you use it remotely ?
Second point : how did you create the group ? Did you put the names in via the Name Picker from the server NAB, or did you use personal nicknames from your own local NAB ?

thanks for your response. no, I don't use the group remotely. Yes, I added the users via the name picker, I didn't use personal nicknames. But I did add the users to my own personal address book to see if that made any difference, but it didn't. any ideas?

Ran into a similar sounding problem with our iNotes users. They would select a group they had created and get an error that group name was not found in the public address book.

The fix, kinda, was to have them press F9 after they returned to the memo page. F9 causes a the group name to be "expanded out" to list each name that it is in, so in the To field, rather than the group name you see all the members of that group. That works for us.

thanks for your response, however, when I pressed F9, it give the same response - "Group Name not found in any name and address book. Choose OK to skip; Cancel to stop"

any other suggestions? Why doesn't it work in the first place, it should work, is it just a Notes bug??????

I have had a few users with this problem in the past. In every case, it was due notes opening a copy of the personal address book rather than that on the default notes path, so when you create your groups, new contacts or whatever, they do not reside anywhere that notes will search.
Whilst in your personal address book, do File-->Database-->Properties. The server should be 'local' and the filename 'names.nsf'. If it is anything other than this, do File-->Database-->Open, select server 'local', find and open your personal address book. I suspect this version will not contain the groups you created.
Make sure you are up to date with all contacts and groups that you may have entered in the copy of your personal address book and then delete the copy.

Also check in File-->Preferences-->User Preferences, Mail and News Tab, local address books field should contain 'names.nsf'

Tonty.

thans for your response tonty,

I think you're right about getting a copy of the address book, but where from I don't know. Another problem that I experience is when I go into the "name picker" when I'm writing a new memo, there are some names there which I have deleted from my address book. If I select one of them and choose details, it says Document has been deleted. However, I'm unable to find where it is that notes is looking ... I went into my personal address book and into properties. The server was local and the filename was names.nsf. And I looked in user preferences and all is as you said it should be. So how can I find out where this copy is coming from?

Just in case this is a cacheing issue, come out of notes, delete 'cache.dsk', go back in and try again (stock technical answer).
To double check, in your database properties, the filename is 'names.nsf' with no proceeding path name right?

Tonty.

yes, that's right ... there's no preceeding path name, just names.nsf. I did wonder if it was using the correct one, so I entered C:\lotus\notes\data\names.nsf - but when I went back in it just said notes.nsf anyway. Will deleting the cache.dsk file have any negative effects further down the line?

Deleting cache.DSK won't cause any problems... I promise. It's just notes way of cacheing info to try and improve performance. If it doesn't exist, it's recreated as soon as you start a new notes session.

Tonty.

afraid not. I had to close notes before it allowed me to delete it, so it's obviously using it. then I deleted it and restarted notes, but no change. any other ideas ?

Thanks
Martin

It may just be that your client structure is slightly different to ours of course, but check under File-->Preferences-->User Preferences, basics tab, local database folder. Ours points to c:\notes\data, is yours the same or does it point to c:\lotus\notes\data?

Try searching C: for any extra copies of names.nsf

Tonty (Running out of straws to clutch).

no, ours points to C:\lotus\notes\data, and I already searched for names.nsf ant it only came up with one, the on in lotus\notes\data.

I'm becoming more bewildered myself about this too. Thanks for all your help, if I do ever find out what it is Notes thinks it's playing at, I'll post back

Each time I've had an end user run into this problem it's been due to a replica of the Notes Client Names.nsf being located within the Notes\Data directory of hard drive. It doesn't necessarily have to have the same filename, but if it's a replica, it's going to cause havoc in addressing, seeing names or groups that you swear you deleted, invitation to meeting problems, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back