Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mail Stuck in the Outbox

Status
Not open for further replies.

PLK3541

IS-IT--Management
Mar 29, 2005
US
I am running Windows Server 2003 SBS and Outlook 2003 on Exchange server, all clients Windows XP Pro.

I have a user that when he is trying to send E-mail it will just sit in the Outbox, it does not show up in the Sent Items and is not delivered.

Anyone has any ideal how to fix this problem?
Thanks in advance for you help.

Pat

I have seen this problem before. If your problem is the same your user is configured in cached mode and their OST file has become corrupt. Move the user out of cached mode, delete the OST. Defrag the hard disk and then re-enable cached mode.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Hi PLK3441,

Ok this might sound silly, but the PC is connected to the network and the Outlook/Exchange is 'On-Line'??

Occasionally internally here we have a few of these problems, but it usually happens when the user has an external POP account in addition to their exchange account.
I have firewall restricitions in place such that the only machine on the network authorised to send e-mail is the mailserver.

If for some reason mail comes in from the pop account, they need to ensure that they send mail out using the exchange account.

If this needs further clarification pls ask otherwise I'll stop whipping the dead horse.

Cheers.

Can you clarify "I am running Windows Server 2003 SBS and Outlook 2003 on Exchange server"? Please tell me you DON'T have Outlook installed on a server that's running Exchange!

Pat Richard, MCSE(2) MCSA:Messaging, CNA(2)

Hey

Thanks for taking the time to help and for all the insightful information. Let me clarify MS Outlook 2003 is installed on client machine (XP Pro), Exchange 2003 on Windows Server 2003 SBS.

I am new to Exchange and have not had this problem before. In troubleshooting this issue I read Microsoft Article ID 162343 but it looks as if it just applies to Outlook 97. Then I read Microsoft Article ID 262052 and it applies to Outlook Express.

The user profile is set to send messages immediately like all the others, and the firewall is set Retrieve E-mail (POP3) allow & Send E-mail (SMTP) allow. I ran the Detect & Repair, but I’m not sure how to move the user out of cached mode to delete the .ost.

Not sure what to do next! Should I follow the troubleshooting steps outlined in one of the article above?

Regards,

Pat

I would create a new profile in Outlook and see if the problem goes away. It could be profile corruption. Wouldn't be the first time that I've seen that.

Pat Richard, MCSE(2) MCSA:Messaging, CNA(2)

Pat, edit the user profile and you will see under the Exchange Server name there is a check box for Cached Exchange Mode.

Once you turn that setting off, close outlook. You can then do a search in the users profile for OST files and delete the OST. Then run your defrag and check that mail flows OK. Then try the cached mode again.

Using Pat(snipers) advice of just creating a new profile will work as well to test with the same results and may be easier for you.

In the case where I saw this problem, this was an indication that the hard drive was failing.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

We fixed this by upgrading the clients to service pack 2 on Office 2003.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back