Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

mail stuck in queue

Status
Not open for further replies.

hganda

Technical User
Jul 1, 2003
US
Here is the scenario:

I have a bunch of mails stuck in the queue for almost 2 hours now. It seems to stop sending. qstat says all are preprocessed. I tried to do tcpok and svc -a, but those won't help. I do a tail in the log file, it seems that qmail is sending to some recipients but they won't go thru on the other side.

How do I know that ALL of the stuck mails in the queue do not go thru? My assumption is either all do not go thru and they just sit in the queue or some with higher priority do not go thru so they block the others. Coz I want qmail to stop sending those who can't go thru but keep sending those who can.

Another question is, if i have to restart the qmail using svc -t, will that clear the queue?

pls help, thanks,

Henny

staying two hours in the remote-queue is not that long. remember, some smtp's might be very high loaded, connection-limited or simply down for a while.

the only type of messages in this queue i would monitor on a regular base are bounced bounces.

the lifetime of a message in the queue is defined by
/var/qmail/control/queuelifetime (unusual name eh ? :)
to get rid of 're-queued double-bounces', you may define
/var/qmail/control/doublebounceto

hope this helps.

greetings

Hm... for some reason I don't have the queuelifetime file. Not in /var/qmail/control, not anywhere. But strangely my mail is bounced a couple times for a few days.

Can I just create a file under control and type 3600 for 1 day? and restart qmail?

queuelifetime is not created by qmail, you must create it in /var/qmail/control...and it measured in seconds (Default: 1 week). So 3600 is set only for 1 hour.

G.L.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back