Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mail size - this one is crazy

Status
Not open for further replies.

78mike78

MIS
Feb 14, 2008
US
Exchange 2003 with sp2, i set default size under mail delivery to 10000kb, then i set a few special users to 50000kb, i try to send an email with 12000kb to the specail users and it fails....
But if i change default to no limit, it works....
If anyone can tell me what they would even suspect it is please tell me.

Yes, i increased my own limit. i tested this with my own account, wiht a special user accoutn...same issue. I have been an exchange admin for 8 years now, 3 different companys, and atleast over 15 smalll clients with exchange...and have never seen anything close to this.

Yup, does sound odd.

Did you set incoming and outgoing to the same ?

Yes, As soon as i take the default limit it works. It seems like the size set in the user accounts doesnt work. only the exchange defualts work.
I m suspecting its somewhere between DC and Exchange user settings issue. We dont have any replication problems, or at least not that DCdiag or Domain Diag would show me nor in the event logs of neither servers..

What happens if you send 12000kb from an external account with the exchange limits on.

Are there limits on any of the other usual suspects in ESM, ( Connectors, VS etc)or are they all clear ?

Hi78mike78,

What did you configure in the Message Delivery seting Properties under the Global Setting Folder.

Looks like you are conflicting with one setting.

Check out your Global setting properties.

Let us know how you get on with this.

Connectors are clear, the only settings that i use is Global settins under delivery..and each individual user settings in AD. I have check SMTP settings under IIS as well.

Reporting-MTA: dns;post.brendan.local
Received-From-MTA: dns;mailrelay.Brendan.local
Arrival-Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 14:27:15 -0700

Final-Recipient: rfc822;MikeK@xxxx.com
Action: failed
X-Display-Name: Mike Khodabakhshi

I have a mailrelay running brightmail, i had set the limit on the smtp for 100000kb to make sure it doesnt conflict. Same with Syamntec Security for Exchange.
Does anyone know what connect or sets the limit size on each individual mailbox? in the background not trough AD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back